Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkielmeyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
hello...i created a logo in indesign, but i need to recreate it in illustrator to be able to save it as an EPS. i've had a little success with it, but i can't seem to keep the "transparent" areas of the logo transparent! any info or leads to any illustrator tutorials would be extremely appreciated.

thank you!

ac6789

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
You can export to an EPS file from Indesign

File--> export

Then choose the EPS file format

jkielmeyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
thank you...but when i've done that, it is still blurry when i try to resize it...and i assume the only way around that is to do it in illustrator and then save as an EPS...

ac6789

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
it is still blurry when i try to resize it.

Quick question: do you have an image (JPG, gif, tiff, etc) as part of the logo?

If you do, then there's not much you can do to preserve quality when scaling (especially enlarging), regardless of what program you've created the logo in. Putting the image in illustrator, re-saving as a EPS, then enlarging it will not produce a better quality logo since it's still a bitmap based file with limited information.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
You can convert it to a jpg - open it in AI and then perform a 'Live Trace' and then 'Expand'.

This will give you an outlined vector which is what you are looking for. A vector format will allow you to resize without sacrificing resolution and once outlined you can save as a .eps and bring it into any app with a transparent background.

Follow this video link:

http://www.webdesign.org/web/vector...dobe-illustrator-cs2-video-tutorial.9166.html

The video explains scanned images, but you can also use straight bitmaps, jpg's etc.

If you are still unsure, post the eps here zipped and I or others will try to help.

jkielmeyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
THANK YOU! the video was very helpful -- it was much easier than i thought b/c of the live trace. (i'm still working on it, but i wanted to let you know that this worked). thank you very much...

RickDeckard

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
If you are talking about the transparency effects in InDesign and Illustrator, the .eps format doesn't support transparencies. You don't need to get the file into Illustrator to save it as a .eps. ac6789 was right, just export it as a .eps.

It will flatten or rasterize any transparencies you may have, though.

If you have any of those special effects in your file, and you need to get it into Illustrator, the best way I've found is to save it as a later version .pdf. The newer versions of .pdf support transparencies and don't flatten them. Then just open the .pdf in Illustrator and go from there.

Is there any reason that you didn't create your logo in Illustrator? Illy has more tools for art creation and manipulation than InDesign does. InDesign isn't really made for that kind of work, it's more a page layout program, like Quark.

If you have a raster image included as part of the logo (the only reason I can think of using live trace), you can bring that type of art into Illustrator as well, and bypass InDesign altogether. Just open a new file in Illustrator, and go to Edit, Place Image, and navigate to where your image is located.

I just wish Adobe would put into Illustrator the ability to open InDesign files, natively. I think it's stupid to have to jump through hoops to get art from ID to Illustrator, I hate that.

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
I admit I haven't used live trace that much, but I never got it to do a good job tracing anything. Kind of like using the magic wand in Photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.