Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hauss316H

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
America's Wang!
I am looking to purchase an apple tv in the next day or so and i have a good question. i do a fair bit of traveling for work and dont really have the need for a laptop but would like to take the apple tv with me to hotels to watch shows etc. i know the apple tv only has component/component hookups which will not work with regular tvs. is there a way to go from component to rca's by chance?

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
What you are actually looking is for something to go from component to composit (RCA is a name for the plug type). There is no cheap option and I have no idea how well this actually works...but this solution seems to be made for the AppleTV:
http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I am looking to purchase an apple tv in the next day or so and i have a good question. i do a fair bit of traveling for work and dont really have the need for a laptop but would like to take the apple tv with me to hotels to watch shows etc. i know the apple tv only has component/component hookups which will not work with regular tvs. is there a way to go from component to rca's by chance?

I travel every week too, and bring my :apple:TV. My solution was to stay at Marriott's. They have HDMI and component hookups built into the walls where you just hook up whatever you want and it plays on the flat screen LCD TV in your room. I think only the full-service Marriott's have this though.

hauss316H

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
America's Wang!
I travel every week too, and bring my :apple:TV. My solution was to stay at Marriott's. They have HDMI and component hookups built into the walls where you just hook up whatever you want and it plays on the flat screen LDC TV in your room. I think only the full-service Marriott's have this though.

nice, my employer pays for the hotel in advance so i dont really have a say where i go

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Your better option would be to hook up an iPod to your hotel tv. It's much more portable and works just as good for this purpose.

consumedsoul

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
Quality?

Can you get a decent resolution/quality from your iPod/iPhone etc.? I'm assuming you connect w/ the Apple composite kit, etc.?

Your better option would be to hook up an iPod to your hotel tv. It's much more portable and works just as good for this purpose.

rWally

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
Denver, CO
Can you get a decent resolution/quality from your iPod/iPhone etc.? I'm assuming you connect w/ the Apple composite kit, etc.?

It depends what settings you're using for your files but supposedly the ipod classics can handle up to 5000 kbps videos so quality wouldn't be an issue at all.

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

rWally said:

It depends what settings you're using for your files but supposedly the ipod classics can handle up to 5000 kbps videos so quality wouldn't be an issue at all.

mine looks like total crap when hooked to a tv of any reasonable siz, not even vhs quality

jammyf

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Sydney

Yep, I agree. I do this very often with an iPod Touch. And you have the added flexibility of watching on the plane.

Quality is pretty good with the composite cable.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Depending on how far you want to take it, with a program like Telekinesis (for iPhone/Touch) you can remotely access your home computer (assuming wifi is in the hotel) and stream all the video you want using the component/composite output cables. I do this so that I don't have to fill-up my phone with videos.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Also, if you don't mind black and white, I think you can just hook up one of the three component cables (i think the green connector) to the yellow RCA jack of a composite connection as well as the two audio connectors and watch in black and white.
I can't guarantee this works, but I think it does.

Tee Face

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Update?

Have any of you purchased new ATV? I'm going to a Marriott as well and wondering if wireless connection will work between iPad and ATV operating on the hotels WiFi network? (I'm assuming that if the TV's had HDMI connections in 2008 they still do today so only concerned about my 2 devices working together).:rolleyes:

colerc

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
Have any of you purchased new ATV? I'm going to a Marriott as well and wondering if wireless connection will work between iPad and ATV operating on the hotels WiFi network? (I'm assuming that if the TV's had HDMI connections in 2008 they still do today so only concerned about my 2 devices working together).:rolleyes:

This is usually a no-go -- not only are hotel wifi networks often slow and unreliable, but they may have firewalls or otherwise that will prevent your devices from seeing each other across the network. And, the biggest problem is that most hotel wifi (even when free) requires you to go to a log-in page where you accept terms and conditions and/or pay. The :apple:TV has no way of showing you that page, so there is no way to connect the :apple:TV to such a network (which is absurd, but such is the design choice Apple has made).

The best workaround in this situation is to plug your MacBook into the wired connection in the room and then have it create a wifi network and turn on Internet sharing. Then you can connect the iPad and :apple:TV to the network created by the Mac, and it should be able to stream content between the two. However, this of course doesn't work if you want to travel without your Mac (or if, like me, you have a Windows computer for work that you are more likely to be traveling with; in theory Windows can do the same thing but in my experience it is very difficult to get a Windows computer-broadcasted wifi network working).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.