Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dyerucf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Question, when I search using spotlight It does not show any applications. I am the administrator on the computer. I have all the box's checked in spotlight preferences.

Any help would be great. Thanx

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Have a look at the privacy tab in the spotlight preferences and make sure /Applications isn't listed there.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
Question, when I search using spotlight It does not show any applications. I am the administrator on the computer. I have all the box's checked in spotlight preferences.

Any help would be great. Thanx

I experience the same thing. No apps appear in Spotlight results even though Apps are enabled and at the top of the search order.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Have you tried rebuilding the spotlight index. To do this drag your hd to the privacy section of spotlight wait a little bit then remove it. You should see spotlight reindexing the hd.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Have you tried rebuilding the spotlight index. To do this drag your hd to the privacy section of spotlight wait a little bit then remove it. You should see spotlight reindexing the hd.

I use Onyx, cleans out the caches, repairs permissions, and rebuilds the Spotlight index if you configure it to.

x19

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Greater Chicago
Try deleting the Spotlight prefs file.

Your Username/Library/Preferences/

com.apple.spotlight.plist

You'd be amazed at what deleting a preference file can fix

dyerucf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
directory

I cant seem to find the directory you are speaking of. Also the file isnt in /Library/Preferences/

any help would be appreciated

Thank you

dyerucf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
found it and deleted

Try deleting the Spotlight prefs file.

Your Username/Library/Preferences/

com.apple.spotlight.plist

You'd be amazed at what deleting a preference file can fix

Found the file you mentioned, deleted it and no dice. Still no applications in the spotlite search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.