Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MORTALITAS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
How do they compare? Are the features generally the same? Are there things you can do in one but not the other? I'd like to hear from some people that have used both and can give me some advice. I have to use Office 2007 for a class of mine this semester and I've had to install XP in Boot Camp to run it, since the instructor told me that an '08 Mac version will be way different and won't have the same features. Could Office '08 for Mac be that drastically different from Office 2007 Professional for PC???

I guess the reason I'm asking is because I HATE HATE HATE using Windows on my new alu iMac - it's basically sacrilege. The reason I buy Mac is so I don't have to deal with stupid Microsoft garbage. If I can find a way to use Office '08 for Mac instead of Office 07 for PC - I would be so happy.

Any advice?

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
This is my opinion after using both Office PC and Office Mac:

The end products are virtually the same. There can be some formatting issues when moving between systems, but for the most part an office document is an office document.

Is your instructor correct? To a point. The layouts of the programs are different. So, some options, commands and tools are in different places. The interfaces are different.

So, in the end, they make the same product, but have slightly different ways about actually making it.

Is this course grading your final product or grading you about how well you know how to use the programs?

That is the answer you need.

tizzo

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
Will you be using Excel? If so, keep in mind that Office 2008 does not support macros.

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Oh ya, good point, I forgot about macros. Office 2008 will not support macros. It never occurred to me because I never used them to begin with.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
If I were you I'd just keep using Office '08 for mac and tell the professor yeah..this is done in office '07 for windows. Your instructor won't be able to even tell the difference.

If you want to really be certain about it. Save your work and open it later in office '07 for windows on one of your college or school computers and double check that everything looks okay.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
The Mac version doesn't have macros. It has a few things in a few different places, but they're mostly the same. What are you using it for? Because depending on what you're using it for it may or may not make a difference.

MORTALITAS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Really?

So I haven't finished the class yet but I believe it covers most of the basic functions. I don't think it goes into depth with macros. Just covering the basic stuff. And a bunch of it. So it's sounding like besides some minor formatting issues, and a few layout differences - it's the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.