Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pedgie06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
This might sound like a weird question, but I figured someone here might know the answer. I have a macbook pro g4 with a 80gig hd. I want to keep all my music on my laptop, but I want to have all my movies and tv shows on my 300gb external hardrive.

So my question is: is there any way to have itunes run off both hard drives? Last time I that I tried to add movies from my external drive, iTunes copied them into my music folder as well. Can I stop iTunes from doing that and just run the movies from my external hd?

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
There are at least two ways of doing this.

One is to change your preferences every time you add a movie so it wont copy it (see attached screen capture for proper settings). Or the easiest is when you import a move into iTunes via drag and drop of the file hold down the option key at the same time.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 66

harpoon

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
move your media where you want it, then hold down option and drag. It's good to do that with video media, and have your audio media go to a 'home' spot on iTunes.

Pedgie06

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
There are at least two ways of doing this.

One is to change your preferences every time you add a movie so it wont copy it (see attached screen capture for proper settings). Or the easiest is when you import a move into iTunes via drag and drop of the file hold down the option key at the same time.

I turned off the copy to itunes folder, is it really necessary to keep that on anyways?

Whenever I download music from itunes or buy a tv show, doesn't it go into my itunes folder anyways?

Is that option just for music that is added from elsewhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.