Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chuckldunn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
The Apple bug has bit me. I just bought my very first MAC a few weeks ago ( a MabBook 2.2 gHz..upgraded to 4 MB of RAM ). I have a Sony Vaio desktop that I now want to replace with a Mac Mini. I know they say that you should be vey clear on what you'll be using a machine for before going out an purchasing a new one, so you won't under or over-purchase. That is the reason for my posting today.

The new machine will be used almost exclusively for web-browsing, iTunes and DVD ripping and burning. I'm SO impressed with the overall speed and inparticular of web-browsing on my MacBook wirelessly that my primary concern is that the speed being the same on the Mini ( browsing speed specifically ). Would the Mini 1.83 do the trick?

Thanks !
Chuck :- )

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The new machine will be used almost exclusively for web-browsing, iTunes and DVD ripping and burning. I'm SO impressed with the overall speed and inparticular of web-browsing on my MacBook wirelessly that my primary concern is that the speed being the same on the Mini ( browsing speed specifically ). Would the Mini 1.83 do the trick?

Thanks !
Chuck :- )

The 1.83 will be able to do all those tasks no problem at all.

Apart from burning DVDs. :D

The 1.83 only comes with the combo drive so unless you plan to use an external DVD-RW drive, the 2.0 model is your only choice.

chuckldunn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
It just so happens that I do have an external DVD burner that I currently use, as well as two external USB hard drives that I use for storage. So when copying a DVD I should be able to put the "original" in the Mini and let my external DVD burner do the burning...is that correct? Also, will the DVD in the mini at least play a DVD?

I also have a Linsys router... will I be able to do automatic backups to either of my two external hard drives with my laptop and/or Mini?

:- ) Chuck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.