Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
A very bad thing happened last night. After loading Panther onto a test partition, I attempted to get it to recognize users on a dedicated users partition. Attempted, because when I logged back in, only the administrator account created on the Panther partition was left. I'm guessing that through the medium of tiredness I either sudo dittoed the wrong way or sudo rm -dr'rd the wrong user folder. And so disaster has struck. Since I'm cheap, and since the Mac is so reliable, I haven't bothered buying Norton. Which was a poor decision since you can always overcome the best systems with plain old stupidity.

Anyway, I was under the impression that Unix has a utility to recover lost files. I was also told that Norton requires a separate index to be created in order to work. What I'd like to know is what I can do to get my data back (I shut down the computer, though being on a different partition should keep my drive from being corrupted on startup). Is there a (relatively) cheap way to get it back and if not, how much am I looking at for professional recovery. Thanks.

--Repeatedly banging my head
Kyle?

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Mods, please move to the correct forum. I came in through the front page hardware and software thread group without realizing it split into separate forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.