Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewstretch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
Canada
imac 2GHz PowerPC G5
1GB RAM
running OSX 10.4.11

This morning I attempted to boot up my imac G5 as I do every day. I'd just shut it down 10 hrs before, with no apparent problems. At first it seemed as though everything was normal - it made its usual humming sound and the white light (front) illuminated. Then suddenly it stopped. I tried again, it did the same thing. I continued trying for the next hour - doing things like unplugging the power source, unplugging all peripherals... throughout this it got even less responsive to my attempts, eventually not responding at all - no hum, no light, nada!
Before I really freaked out I gave it one more shot, holding the power button in for a long time...then it came alive again. It booted up strangely though, my laser on my mighty mouse lighting up for about 5 sec, then a high pitched tone that I've never heard from the computer before (like a tv's tone signal when you see the color bars) now it seems as though everything is fine.
Has anyone come across this? It's a first for me.
I'm worried that the next time I turn it off will be the last.
Should I be frantically backing up my entire system?
any help or input is appreciated.
thanks

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
Holding the power button down for a long time is something you do when you're installing a firm ware update. If you've downloaded and then restart your computer after the beep it will install the update. I've never done this without the firmware but I imagine it'd try to go through the same process.

I'm not sure what was wrong with your Mac though I'm afraid. Have you added any new hardware or software or USB peripherals recently?

andrewstretch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
Canada
Holding the power button down for a long time is something you do when you're installing a firm ware update. If you've downloaded and then restart your computer after the beep it will install the update. I've never done this without the firmware but I imagine it'd try to go through the same process.

I'm not sure what was wrong with your Mac though I'm afraid. Have you added any new hardware or software or USB peripherals recently?

No new hardware, software, or peripherals...just suddenly happened.

andrewstretch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
Canada
Another update - I just returned home after an hour or so - the computer that was working is no longer. Came home to a black screen, experiencing same boot up issues.

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
It could be a serious hardware problem... my iMac G5 had to get taken in to get fixed when it just started shutting down randomly and not wanting to start up. I think they replaced the logicboard in the end.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
There's an issue with the power supply on some G5 Imacs. Apple even has an extended repair program to fix it if that's the problem.

from the repair program page;

"Affected systems will exhibit one of the following power-related symptoms:

System will not start up after the power button is pressed
System shuts down intermittently"

here's the apple repair program page link

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
insert os x install disk and run the diagnostics that are on it. Front of cd has instructions on how to boot from cd/dvd.

--Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.