Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmchapman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Got my dad a 3G nano for his 60th birthday (he loves it!) and he recently bought himself an "Ipod charger" so that he can charge it up when he is away without having to take his computer.

When you plug the nano in it lights up but doesn't appear to charge. It charges fine when plugged into the computer but appears to not like the the USB charger. Is this normal? Have apple done something to ensure you buy their 20 quid USB charger? :-(

The exact charger he has is http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L11BR&DOY=6m4 - any reason this wouldn't work?

I did wonder if it required 12v or something but looking at the USB spec it doesn't seem to offer anything other than 5v so if that was the case it wouldn't charge from the PC either :-(

If this is something evil that apple are doing does anyone know if that charger will have a similar problem with my 1G nano?

Thanks,

Darren

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
well, this doesn't really answer your question, but just to clear up part of it, USB uses 5V and the old chargers that used firewire (3G and Older) use 12V, so, for example, my 3G ipod won't charge while syncing.

I don't really know what's wrong with yours though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.