Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samarium

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
@ home.
Hello everyone, my friend doesnt have Finder/Trash icons, the space is there, if you click it, it functions, but it doesnt have an icon. Picture attached.

What can i do to help him out?
We already used Disk Utility without any success, repair disk didnt function, it stayed at ! min remaining.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 102

spooky mulder

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
ca
download candy bar and you should be able to replace those icons with ones of ur own choosing, this might solve ur problem.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
Okay...Um can you try dragging the finder app into the dock? Does it open finder normally? I am not exactly sure however how to take out the blank finder since it is running. You could try quiting it in activity monitor but I don't know how safe this is

spooky mulder

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
ca
Hello everyone, my friend doesnt have Finder/Trash icons, the space is there, if you click it, it functions, but it doesnt have an icon. Picture attached.

What can i do to help him out?
We already used Disk Utility without any success, repair disk didnt function, it stayed at ! min remaining.

oh and the repair disk always stays at one min until it's almost done, does it on mine too, u just need to wait it out...

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
I don't know what to tell you, mabey reinstall leopard?

not yet! :)

firstly try relaunching the dock by typing this command into Terminal which is in the Utilities folder.

Code:
killall Dock

if this didnt fix it try dragging "com.apple.cock.plist" in home/Library/Preferences to the desktop and typing the above command into Terminal again. this will reset the dock to the default settings. if you want your settings back just drag the plist back to your Preferences folder, replace the one the Dock just created and then type the above Terminal command again.

lastly if none of this works try trashing everything in home/Library/Caches and then restarting. empty the Trash after you have restarted. apps will open slow after this so you can open all your apps again to make them launch faster the second time.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
not yet! :)

firstly try relaunching the dock by typing this command into Terminal which is in the Utilities folder.

Code:
killall Dock

if this didnt fix try dragging "com.apple.Dock.plist" in home/Library/Preferences to the desktop and typing the above command again. this will reset the dock to the default. if you want your settings back just drag the plist back, replace and then type the Terminal command again.

lastly if none of this works try trashing everything in home/Library/Caches and then restarting.

WOW Just completely kicked my advice outa this world!:D

Samarium

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
@ home.
oh and the repair disk always stays at one min until it's almost done, does it on mine too, u just need to wait it out...

Ok, i'll try again.

Code:
killall Dock

First thing I did.

dragging "com.apple.cock.plist" in home/Library/Preferences to the desktop and typing the above command into Terminal again. this will reset the dock to the default settings. if you want your settings back just drag the plist back to your Preferences folder, replace the one the Dock just created and then type the above Terminal command again.

Second thing I did, No sucesss.

lastly if none of this works try trashing everything in home/Library/Caches and then restarting. empty the Trash [U said:
after[/U] you have restarted. apps will open slow after this so you can open all your apps again to make them launch faster the second time.

I'll try this in a second, I'll try to "Repair Disk" one more time.

spooky mulder

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
ca
First thing I did.

I'll try this in a second, I'll try to "Repair Disk" one more time.

yeah just let it sit, u might want to stop it after a while but it will eventually complete itself, it may even jump to saying est.. time of completion is 18 min or so, but don't worry it will finish up in like a min after that message appears and the blue bar starts to move.

Samarium

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
@ home.
Finished "Repair Disk"

We got this.

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r----- .
6:55 PM

Group differs on "private/var/root/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist", should be 0, group is 90.

User differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be 0, user is 501.

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .

User differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj", should be 0, user is 501.
6:56 PM

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
6:56 PM

User differs on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt", should be 0, user is 501.

and more.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
just looks like you installed Flash player recently. has nothing to do with the dock. i dont think repairing permissions will help this issue. if it didnt work then it wont work again.

spooky mulder

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2008
ca
just do an archive and re-install or a reinstall from a time machine backup that still had a finder dock icon maybe>? :confused: If you do an archive and install you won't loose all ur media etc.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Create a new user. I'll bet you'll find the icons are OK in there. If so, transfer all the data over to the new user account and use that or trash the old account, recreate it and transfer back.

i wouldnt think so as trashing the dock plist didnt work. so it must be a system issue. in which case an Archive and Install should be done.

Samarium

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
@ home.
Create a new user. I'll bet you'll find the icons are OK in there. If so, transfer all the data over to the new user account and use that or trash the old account, recreate it and transfer back.

Third or Fourth thing I did. No success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.