Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gordoebg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Here is the situation:

I have a MacBook and my wife has a PC. We both have itunes accounts (different) on our computers. I am buying a new imac and want to combine both of our libraries into one on the new computer but am wondering if music that was purchased by libraries A and/or B will be able to be played in library C. Thank you very much.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Yes this is totally possible, iTunes is kind enough to allow multiple iTunes accounts to be associated with a specific iTunes library. It is not so much combining the two accounts but letting iTunes know it is okay for music to be played from both accounts on that computer.

Once you have all the music from the two music libraries imported onto the new mac, you will need to play one of the protected aac music files from each of the iTunes accounts you have. iTunes ask for your password for the respective account you bought the music from and then it will authorize that computer with your that iTunes account. From there you will be able to listen to any of the music on that computer whether it is from your library or your wifes.

gordoebg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
OK, Thanks that helps a lot. My second question is something that I assume people in my situation encounter frequently. My wife and I have very different tastes in our music. That being said, what is the best way to keep her music from syncing to my ipods and vice versa. I realize that I can manually sync the checked songs etc, but that seems a little cumbersome. Is there an easier way? Thanks.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
Why not just always manually sync. Thats how I have mine, because I put music on my niece and nephew's ipod and I don't think I want a whole library of Jonas Brother in my ipod, I also don't want to put Richard Cheese on their ipods either. I just pick and drop the ones that I want.

What if you created a playlist and just keep adding the songs that you want into there then you can select all and drop and drag to your ipod.

gordoebg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Yeah I realize that I can do it that way. I just thought there might be an easier way. Thanks.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
There's an iPod preference in iTunes that allows you to only sync checked music. Just uncheck your wife's music before you sync and then check them again when you're done. She can do the same with your stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.