Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freshstart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I just installed Office for Mac 2008 and after my name it picked up another line of data. I'm not sure if it propagated and I missed it, or what happened. Anyway, I tried to uninstall and reinstall Office, and also tried emptying the trash before the reinstall. However, I cannot get the screens to come up that ask for the product key and name so that I can correct this. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I just installed Office for Mac 2008 and after my name it picked up another line of data. I'm not sure if it propagated and I missed it, or what happened. Anyway, I tried to uninstall and reinstall Office, and also tried emptying the trash before the reinstall. However, I cannot get the screens to come up that ask for the product key and name so that I can correct this. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

Uninstall Office again and then remove the com.microsoft.<name>.plist files in your <user home directory>/Library/Preferences directory.

Examples of Office are:

com.microsoft.setupassistant.plist
com.microsoft.Word.plist
com.microsoft.Powerpoint.plist
etc.

Then reinstall Office and run the Setup Assistant.

Harjiv

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
Uninstall Office again and then remove the com.microsoft.<name>.plist files in your <user home directory>/Library/Preferences directory.

Examples of Office are:

com.microsoft.setupassistant.plist
com.microsoft.Word.plist
com.microsoft.Powerpoint.plist
etc.

Then reinstall Office and run the Setup Assistant.

I have a related problem. com.microsoft.(name) files are not available with me in the preferences folder. I am facing the same problem. What do I do ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.