Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MynameisMud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
I've had my first mac for a month now and am loving it.

On windows I used to be able to right click "select all" and all the text in that window would be highlighted. it sucks having to use the mouse to highlight and scroll to select a large amount of text.

How do i do this on a mac?

MynameisMud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
well, for example, let's say i want to copy and paste a really long news article. Triple-clicking highlighted one paragraph. Hitting command + A selected everything including images.

If I remember correctly, on Windows I used to just right-click and "select all" and all the text would highlight.

If I remember correctly?

MynameisMud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
basically, when i try to copy something reaaaaaallllllllly long I find myself struggling to hold down my click and moving the mouse in the direction i'm highlighting until I get stuck or i run out of space on my mousepad and fall off and then i have to start all over.

lol

Maybe this is a personal problem?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I don't get it. How does the apple-A command not do what you're talking about? Regardless, all you need to do is select the first word you want to select, then hold down shift and click on the last word you want. That will select everything between those 2 words.

Reactions: Tomorrow

jarenado

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Florida
Option 1. command + a

Option 2. shift + command + down key

Option 3. enable two finger tap for touchpad (will give you the right click
option you were looking for) if its a regular mouse, enable right
click all this can be done through system prefrences

enjoy not having to deal with a pc anymore. welcome to the fold.

Reactions: Macstang

MynameisMud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
all you need to do is select the first word you want to select, then hold down shift and click on the last word you want.

That does the job best thanks.

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
You can also right click (or press the control key and click on a one-button mouse) and choose select all. Works in firefox, anyway.

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
I don't get it. How does the apple-A command not do what you're talking about? Regardless, all you need to do is select the first word you want to select, then hold down shift and click on the last word you want. That will select everything between those 2 words.
Easiest way if you don't want images etc getting selected.

Vancouver user

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2016
well, for example, let's say i want to copy and paste a really long news article. Triple-clicking highlighted one paragraph. Hitting command + A selected everything including images.

If I remember correctly, on Windows I used to just right-click and "select all" and all the text would highlight.

If I remember correctly?
[doublepost=1458191599][/doublepost]I actually just tried what you said. Here's how I got here - I was googling "how to 'select all on iMac" - I was trying to copy a picture off of a Yelp page and would only provide ALL the thumbnail pictures..... I found your directions of "Command" then push the plus sign "+" and then the letter "A". Who knows how it works or why, I just tried it and it does work. Thanks for the advice, that really helped with what i wanted to do. Appreciate the assistance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.