Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A quick search at the United States Petent and Trademark Office pulls up a new trademark application from Apple (filed on September 5, 2001) called Gigawire.

Telecommunication services; cellular telephone communication; Communication by computer terminals, communication by telephone, facsimile transmission; providing of electronic mail (E-Mail); computer aided transmission of messages and images; communication between computer peripherals and devices; information about telecommunication.

True, true, unrelated? or not?

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
Just guessing...

but could this be a variation of 'FireWire'? The names both end with 'Wire'. But if GigaWire is indeed a connection method, wouldn't new hardware be required, or it might be some kind of wireless connection.

ebound

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2001
EGV, IL
Re: Firewire2?

Originally posted by Catfish_Man
Gigawire could be the 800Mbs firewire that's supposed to come out in the relatively near future.

But why would it be registered under a patent for cell phone communication? That's kinda odd. The same goes for the telecommunication one.

bradbower

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2001
Omaha, NE
I've seen some strange descriptions when categorizing patents, but from the looks of things, if implemented, GigaWire is much more than just a faster FireWire bus... But the point is moot, we all have to wait until the 23rd. Right, Andrew? :)

M

Mr. Sparkle

Airport 2?

Sounds to me like a new, vastly faster Airport!

Woo hoo would that be cool!

P.S. I am disrespectful to dirt.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I get the feeling that Gigawire is not the same as Firewire.. Just read the two service marks they are totally different... This is something else... Also this *ISN'T* a patent, Gigawire is a 'service mark'/'trademark'.

Very different...

802.11 = Patent / AirPort = Service Mark

IEEE 1394 = Patent / FireWire = Service Mark & iLink = Service Mark

?????? = Patent / Gigawire = Service Mark

Now find out what the patent side of Gigawire and we just might be able to go somewhere with this...

D

[Edited by DaveGee on 10-18-2001 at 07:24 PM]

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
firewire 2/cell phones/gigawire?

the cell phone and telecommunication part could possibly reflect the growing role of the cell phone in high tech as we move into the future and firewire 2? may be a solution

maybe that's gigawire

M

Mr. Sparkle

Read it again, please

It sounds to me like a lot of these descriptors are just generic categories. I mean, really... do you think gigawire refers to a fax machine? Well, "facsimile transmission" is one of the things listed.

It sounds more like they are covering their butts by selecting any and EVERY category that could possibly have anything to do with this gigawire thingy.

All of these things sound like an internet connectivity thing. I mean, every one of those descriptors could apply to a cellular modem.

My original guess was that it was a super-high-speed Airport (which would be wonderful!), but on further reflection, it seems more likely to be referring to something like the Handspring Treo or some such wireless internet device.

There's still a chance it could be something like a gigabit Airport, though. Most of those descriptors would apply.

The only weird thing is that it talks about "cellular" and it contains the word "wire." Not sure how to resolve that conflict....

U

unreg

Macosrumors.com says gigawire is the new, faster version of firewire...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.