Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freddy J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
For the last few days I have had some serious problems with my mac. I will be in the middle of doing something then the screen will change to dark and all function will be lost. It says "Your computer needs to re start. Hold down the power button for a few secnds or press restart." It comes up in a few languages as well.
I havn't installed anything new on the computer but about a week and a half ago I got a new internet connection. I was using free wireless before, but my roommate and I decided to get our own line. I don't know if this is part of the problem but I doubt it. Now its so bad, I turn my computer on and within seconds this shutdown prompt comes on. I'm currently using my friends comp to write this. Does anyone know what may be happening and how do I fix this? Is there a recent virus that could be affecting the computer?

Thanks for all your help!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Do you have a hardware test CD? start up with that in your drive and run a hardware test. It could really be anything that is causing your kernal panics like a failing airport card or it could just be the motherboard going.

Wireless Buddy

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Those things you are seeing are Kernal Panics, and with G4 iBooks, these are usually caused by the AirPort card. Try turning your wireless off when you start up and see if it still does it.

Freddy J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
I have a feeling its the airport card since I only started using the airport last week. the last time I used it was over a year ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.