Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Himlander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi,
I have nearly a 100 phone contacts in my iphone.
yesterday for the first time I have sync. the phone with my imac. the itunes have asked few questions and by saying "Yes" all my mail contacts have been copied to the iphone.:confused:
Now the mail contacts and the phone contacts are in the same list and all mixed up:( (689 in all).
It has become hard to find the phone contacts.It takes ages.
I would like to get rid of the all mailing contacts from iphone and just keep the phone contacts.
Is there a way to copy all the contats to the imac , edit and send back to the iphone?
Please advise.
Thanks

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
when you say "mail contacts", do you mean contacts you created from email addresses you received on your mac and then saved to the Address Book application on your mac?

if all of your contacts are in Address Book on your mac, all you need to do is to create groups to separate them (see this apple forum discussion topic for instructions on how to create groups in Address Book). then, in itunes you can select which groups should sync to your iphone. as an example, i have multiple groups in the Address Book on my mac (Businesses, Friends, Family, etc.), including one named "iPhone" that i use to keep the numbers i use most often - this is the only group i make sure to sync to my iphone and the others are optional...

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
As an aside, the iPhone is the first phone I've had where I don't mind having any and every contact on the phone. I have contacts who only have a birthday listed, but no other information. The way you can quickly move to a certain letter or flick through makes it a breeze to find someone in my iPhone.

Himlander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
when you say "mail contacts", do you mean contacts you created from email addresses you received on your mac and then saved to the Address Book application on your mac?

if all of your contacts are in Address Book on your mac, all you need to do is to create groups to separate them (see this apple forum discussion topic for instructions on how to create groups in Address Book). then, in itunes you can select which groups should sync to your iphone. as an example, i have multiple groups in the Address Book on my mac (Businesses, Friends, Family, etc.), including one named "iPhone" that i use to keep the numbers i use most often - this is the only group i make sure to sync to my iphone and the others are optional...

Thanks for a prompt rply. :)to answer "Yes" the email addresses are on mac and saved as to address book.I want to do as you did. Business,Students, Family etc.
Thanks for the url.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.