Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I've used Google's instructions to set up my Gmail accounts on Mac Mail using IMAP. The only issue I'm finding is when I have messages in my inbox, all I see are the emails that were sent to me. To see the messages I've send, I can only do this by clicking on sent mail.

Is there anyway to see my messages in their threads just by clicking on the inbox, just how it works when using Gmail via their web site? I can get the view I want when I click "All Mail" but then I have hundreds of emails rather than what's in my inbox. I've searched everywhere but have yet to find a solution.

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I guess what I'm asking is if there's anyway to make the Inbox folder with threaded messages show up in an inbox folder in Mac Mail. I want Mac Mail to work just like Gmail does on the web. Am I just out of luck?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I think this is what you're looking for.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 134

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I think this is what you're looking for.

I've done that. The threads work perfectly in the "All Mail" folder, but then I have 800 emails from months ago. My Gmail inbox has maybe 3 conversations in it. In Mac Mail's inbox all I can see are the messages received by me, not my responses too. I want to see the entire conversations, just like the inbox in Gmail on the web.

dws90

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Apple Mail can only thread together messages that are in the same folder. Therefore, the only way to get the full conversation to show up as a thread in Apple Mail is to use the "All Mail" folder.

Addendum: It may be conceivably possible to hack something together to do this using Smart mailboxes, but that's not really worth it, in my mind. If you want Gmail-style conversations, just use the Gmail web interface (you can have both that and an IMAPed Apple Mail open at the same time, you know).

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Apple Mail can only thread together messages that are in the same folder. Therefore, the only way to get the full conversation to show up as a thread in Apple Mail is to use the "All Mail" folder.

Addendum: It may be conceivably possible to hack something together to do this using Smart mailboxes, but that's not really worth it, in my mind. If you want Gmail-style conversations, just use the Gmail web interface (you can have both that and an IMAPed Apple Mail open at the same time, you know).

I figured this would be the case. It would be nice if Gmail and Apple teamed up to make things work pretty much the same between the Gmail web interface and Mac Mail though. I wonder how this will work with the new iPhone and push mail...

Thanks for your help...

§€NTiN€L

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
It is possible :)

Create a Smart mailbox and add the following filters
  • Contains Messages matching ANY of the following criteria
  • Message is in Mailbox > Inbox
  • Message is in Mailbox > Sent (Make sure your Sent folder is mapped to GMail's Sentfolder)

I have attached a screenshot of the configuration.

Attachments

• Mail.jpg
    Mail.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 194

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
It is possible :)

Create a Smart mailbox and add the following filters
  • Contains Messages matching ANY of the following criteria
  • Message is in Mailbox > Inbox
  • Message is in Mailbox > Sent (Make sure your Sent folder is mapped to GMail's Sentfolder)

I have attached a screenshot of the configuration.

I can't seem to get it to work. Can you give me a little more detailed instructions? Thanks!

arvidtp

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
§€NTiN€L;6674810 said:
Yeah, I use Mac Mail at home and the web interface at work.

exactly what i do.

Here is something i just cooked up for this:

In Mail a smart mailbox can only match ALL conditions or ANY conditions - no combination thereof - which is annoying - BUT you can get around this.

I made a smart mailbox called "All Mail" just as described earlier that matches ANY conditions and includes the Inbox AND the Sent folder .

But this was really slow to load each time with like 3 years of mail, so i wanted to time limit it also to the last 3 months

So I created a 2nd smart mailbox that matches ALL conditions and said include all messages in the "All Mail" smart mailbox (i was surprised you could do that) that are also received in the last 3 months - and it loads really fast. Actually - faster than my standard inbox! I called it "Super Inbox"

If you dont use any other 'dumb' folders to categorize your mail, you could instead just use one smart mailbox that includes message 3 months old and includes message from sent mail (in the checkbox at the bottom of mail's smart mailbox window), but if you are like me and use rules to filter out promotional emails and mailing lists that I might want to look at say once a month into separate folders, then you need to go with the above method of two smart mailboxes so that the contents of those folders don't also show up in your new Gmail-like Super Inbox.

The only annoying thing is that message that i sent that nobody else has replied to also show up in my "Super Inbox". Mail does not have smart mailbox controls that deal with threads in that way. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.