Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have two computers - a MacBook Pro (in my signature) and an iMac G5 (2.1 GHz, aftermarket upgraded to 300GB HDD and 2.5GB RAM). The thing's getting old - the SuperDrive in it won't burn discs (but will read them), and the internal iSight is completely broken. I currently use it with Tiger, for those old Classic games, but I'm wondering, especially with the possibility of it not being able to run Snow Leopard, if I should just retire the thing instead. I was running Mac OS X Leopard Server on it for a while, and it works as a server - just not as well as I had hoped it would. :(

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I use an ancient G4-400 running Tiger as a basic media and file server (it also handles incoming VPN connections and is running an IRC/bitlbee server, too), and it does the job just fine - your G5 should handle that kinda thing with ease.

In the past, I've had the G4 working as a web & mail server without problems, although admittedly the P4 Linux box I'm using now is a lot quicker - again, though, your G5 should easily be up to that kinda use.

Personally, I find anything above the minimum spec for Leopard to be perfectly useable for just about anything short of Adobe CS3, so long as it has enough RAM. Of course, YMMV =]

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I use an ancient G4-400 running Tiger as a basic media and file server (it also handles incoming VPN connections and is running an IRC/bitlbee server, too), and it does the job just fine - your G5 should handle that kinda thing with ease.

In the past, I've had the G4 working as a web & mail server without problems, although admittedly the P4 Linux box I'm using now is a lot quicker - again, though, your G5 should easily be up to that kinda use.

Personally, I find anything above the minimum spec for Leopard to be perfectly useable for just about anything short of Adobe CS3, so long as it has enough RAM. Of course, YMMV =]

Out of curiosity, what VPN server do you use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.