Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
I'm thinking about getting the New 3G iPhone. Instead of selling my iPhone I was thinking about giving it to my daughter to be used as an iPod Touch.

Will the device even turn on or work it no "phone number" is attached to it?
Can I use the iPhone strictly as an iPod Touch or does it have to have ATT&T Service on it to even turn on?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
That's how I've used mine for a year. Sucks on ice that I don't have service... It's unlocked, but I don't have a plan...

Can someone tell me how prepaid SIMs work? Do they stop working once they've hit their limit or do they charge you if you go over?

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
So long as you activate it (either via iTunes, or any number of hackery apps out there), you can use it as an iPhone-without-phone-service fine.

So what your saying is I can do it but via "hacking software"?

Once I disconnect my service plan I just cant hand that over for my daughter to use as an iPod Touch?

If thats the case I will just sell it....

duncanm

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2008
I don't understand why you wouldn't sell it anyway? Sell it, get $500. Buy an ipod touch for your Daughter. Pocket $225. Done.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
I don't understand why you wouldn't sell it anyway? Sell it, get $500. Buy an ipod touch for your Daughter. Pocket $225. Done.

iPhone will NEVER sell for that much any more.
How can it when the new one will cost $199

Who would buy it for $500? :rolleyes:

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

People who are intelligent enough to know that not only does the old iPhone cost less than the new one, but those that know the new iPhone doesn't work on T-Mobile's 3G.

1st gen iPhones will go for MORE than their original prices.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm thinking about getting the New 3G iPhone. Instead of selling my iPhone I was thinking about giving it to my daughter to be used as an iPod Touch.

Will the device even turn on or work it no "phone number" is attached to it?
Can I use the iPhone strictly as an iPod Touch or does it have to have ATT&T Service on it to even turn on?

I think I have an idea what you are planning, but AT&T won't sell you an iPhone without the contract, and if you try to get out of the contract, it will cost you and be more expensive than an iPod Touch.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
People who are intelligent enough to know that not only does the old iPhone cost less than the new one, but those that know the new iPhone doesn't work on T-Mobile's 3G.

1st gen iPhones will go for MORE than their original prices.

Hmmmm so what your saying is that the old iPhones are in demand because of "Jail Breaking" because the New 3G iPhones cant be used on other networks?

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
I think I have an idea what you are planning, but AT&T won't sell you an iPhone without the contract, and if you try to get out of the contract, it will cost you and be more expensive than an iPod Touch.

I think you misunderstood me.
I have an iPhone with a service plan ($99 Unlimited) - I want to get the New 3G iPhone with a service plan as well. My OLD iPhone is what I was planning to give my daughter (WITH NO SERVICE) to be used ONLY as an iPod. :)

duncanm

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2008

I'll disregard the sarcasm and ask you to go look at the prices on ebay. I'm just trying to save you some money bud.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
I'll disregard the sarcasm and ask you to go look at the prices on ebay. I'm just trying to save you some money bud.

Sorry if that came off wrong - It was sarcasm for "other people" (not you) who would pay $500.00 for an iPhone!!

It sounded hard to believe that people would pay that much for a used iPhone! I thought you were just pulling my chain only to find out looking at eBay that the iPhone sells anywhere from $300-500 bucks!!

stevento

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
i'm so glad i decided not to be one of the people who rushed out to get an iPhone as soon as it came out for $700.
now they are $200 and faster, better and slimmer i believe.
i bought an iPod touch at christmas but i just sold it on craigslist for $260. cant wait until july 11!
my friend bought a $400 iPhone a few months ago. what a dope.

duncanm

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2008
Sorry if that came off wrong - It was sarcasm for "other people" (not you) who would pay $500.00 for an iPhone!!

It sounded hard to believe that people would pay that much for a used iPhone! I thought you were just pulling my chain only to find out looking at eBay that the iPhone sells anywhere from $300-500 bucks!!

No problem man. There is a method to the madness. The old iphones are desirable as they can be used on whichever carrier one decides to place them on. Further, many countries still do not have the iphone for sale in retail stores (i.e. Canada) so that substantially increases demand. The new iphone also cannot be purchased w/o a contract (which ends up making up for the higher initial price of the 2G iphone). Then add the silver back which people seem to be in love with, and you have multiple factors which are still responsible for the high price of the 2G iphone.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
so what you guys are saying is this-
when I get a new iphone and move my old number from my old EDGE iphone to the new iPhone, the old iPhone wont lock up like it was when you first purchase it (with the only function being an emergency call) and all that will be different is that there will no longer be phone service?...

no jailbreaking necessary?...

I plan on doing a similar thing as the OP if this is the case.

stagfish

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
iphone

I was gonna sell my touch and use my iphone for ipod but it doesnt work in my alarm clock radio???? an idea?

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
so what you guys are saying is this-
when I get a new iphone and move my old number from my old EDGE iphone to the new iPhone, the old iPhone wont lock up like it was when you first purchase it (with the only function being an emergency call) and all that will be different is that there will no longer be phone service?...

no jailbreaking necessary?...

I plan on doing a similar thing as the OP if this is the case.

You just brought up a very interesting point!
Removing my Sim Card doesnt mimic my phone with "No Service" although there was an earlier poster that uses an iPhone as an iPod BUT I do recall the "Emergency Only" thing when ever you have NO service connected to the iPhone.

I'm curious to find out if my iPhone becomes a "brick" after moving my phone number to another device.

I just to make sure my daughter can use my iPhone as an iPod Touch device.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
You just brought up a very interesting point!
Removing my Sim Card doesnt mimic my phone with "No Service" although there was an earlier poster that uses an iPhone as an iPod BUT I do recall the "Emergency Only" thing when ever you have NO service connected to the iPhone.

I'm curious to find out if my iPhone becomes a "brick" after moving my phone number to another device.

I just to make sure my daughter can use my iPhone as an iPod Touch device.

I was told by the att rep at the att store that switching your number to another phone will indeed brick your phone. but with so many rumors and opinions as well as the att people not really knowing more then we do its hard to say...
i was also the first person to tell them how much the new phone will cost :rolleyes:

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

duncanm said:
I was gonna sell my touch and use my iphone for ipod but it doesnt work in my alarm clock radio???? an idea?

Sell your alarm clock radio and buy one that will work?

Was that meant to be funny? Coz it was. I'm still laughing. You've cheered me right up. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.