Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamchapman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Hi, the title says it all really. Does anybody know of an easy way to remove the silver back case of an iPod Touch? I have tried using the tool apple recommends (green plastic thing) but the plastic just wore down and had no use at all.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Maybe with a really skinny knife.... You'd have to find a good place to try and pry it apart.

I'm sure you could scour the internet for some info.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Do not use I knife otherwise you will damage the cover. Use the plastic tool, it will take a while but you wont damage the backing (took me 30 minutes!).

kleo

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
ONLY USE PLASTIC! a few 10c guitar picks will be your best friend to remove said back.

hamchapman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Still no luck getting it open. I have tried using a guitar pick but I think that it's a pretty thick one. Good idea though, I might see if I can get a thinner one. Using a screwdriver I did manage to lift up the case a tiny bit around the connector on the bottom. But that hasn't really helped getting it off. The key seems to be being able to lever up the case from the sides. But the gap is just too goddam thin!

Are you going to replace it with a new one?

Yeah, I've got one that has been modified using a PVD process meaning that it has a layer of titanium nitride on it. This makes it look like this:

casebackpy3.jpg

If you want more info on where to get them, then PM me.

hamchapman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
good lord hahah

I can see that some people will not like how it looks and think it looks ridiculous, but there are actual advantages to it. The main one being that it is 100% scratchproof. That means that the whole iPod, front and back, would be fully scratchproof.

Thanks for the feedback anyway ;)

only

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
i'm sorry, i'm sure it's pragmatic but i'd sooner lug around a case than do that to a touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.