Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kothrush

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2002
I am planning to use patchstick solution to hack the appleTV , mainly for divx/xvid compatibility. I would like to know if someone has hacked it and then restored it to factoty default, essentially removing hack.

I have read few reports about this, some say since appleTV OS is on hard drive partition which can not be deleted, you can always restore the original state whenever you want. but, some have bricked their appleTV too. So, I would like to know if which software hacking is "fully restorable" and which one can brick appleTV if you try to restore to factory conditions.

I would assume since its software hacking and assuming it does not screw up firmware, it should always be reversible.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
I would assume since its software hacking and assuming it does not screw up firmware, it should always be reversible.

You are right. If you only use the "regular hacks" that are around, there is no problem and you can do a factory restore without a problem.
If you mess around e.g. by trying to "downgrade" e.g. from 2.0 to 1.0, there might be serious issues.

somecallmechief

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
Agreed

Absolutely, you can always initiate a restore by holding down the menu and - buttons. When the ATV reboots, you'll have the option to restore to factory conditions by downloading the latest firmware. This will remove any hack modifications you've made.

Of course, if you try to downgrade software versions.... well, it's possible, but discouraged.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Absolutely, you can always initiate a restore by holding down the menu and - buttons. When the ATV reboots, you'll have the option to restore to factory conditions by downloading the latest firmware. This will remove any hack modifications you've made.

Not if you screw up the recovery partition. If that happens, and you don't have an image of your drive, you're screwed.

Of course, if you try to downgrade software versions.... well, it's possible, but discouraged.

Why is it discouraged?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.