Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
ModNote: This thread is the result of merging several different threads that promote various forms of consumer activism in response to the Rogers plans announced for the iPhone 3G in Canada. Please use this thread for all further discussion; do not create any more threads on this topic. Thanks. --mkrishnan

---

Please, even if you are not Canadian, fill out the below form for Rogers Wireless:

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/epic/site/cb-bc.nsf/en/01260e.html

Brief Story:

Rogers Wireless is over charging Canadians with extremely high prices. On top of all this, they do not even OFFER an unlimited data plan (2gb is the MAX they are letting canadians use). Here's the web site for the plans:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/iphone_voice_data_packages

Thanks to anyone who filled out the form.

EDIT: Also the petition at http://www.ruinediphone.com/dearsteve.php.

P-79

touchyphone

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I think the pricing(s) have everyone in a tizzy, you do realize just because you want an iPhone, you dont HAVE to buy one, right?? I mean, isnt that the best form of a boycott? Not buying the product? I guarantee you letter writing or petition signing wont do anything...just my .02

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
There is hope by sending in forms. Look at this e-mail someone received earlier:

Dear XXXXXX XXXXXX,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your use of
online customer service.

In your recent email, you have informed us that you are not happy with
the price plans that Rogers is offering with the Iphone.

Rogers price plans for the Iphone are just the preliminary pricing and
could change depending on Rogers customer needs and wants. You can keep
checking the Rogers web site for lunch and the final price plan offers.

We are pleased to have been able to address your inquiry. For
additional information, please visit our website at http://www.rogers.com.

You are a valued customer and we thank you for your business.

For future email correspondence with respect to this e-mail, please
quote reference number
Regards,
Marc C.
Rogers Online Customer Service
http://www.rogers.com

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I really hope you are right and that the plans are indeed preliminary.

*w00t! 1900 posts.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Gawd, I'm filling out the Bureau Form, but it takes forever to get to the "Contact Us" page on the rogers website. I need the info on the Rogers Wireless Co. so I can fill in the blanks. (I keep getting Error 404 when I try to submit the form):eek:

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Oh, come on, I'd happily switch places with you - at least you're getting an official iPhone release. In Israel they'll have to import a $788 unlocked iPhone from a foreign country + pay for import taxes + have to jailbreak the iPhone so it'll be possible to use it with the local language + they'll have no insurance or warranty (unless they get back to the foreign country where they bought the phone from). If the phone breaks or malfunctions there will be no one around to fix it except for a few amateur technicians who charge extremely high fees for an unprofessional work.

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
Gawd, I'm filling out the Bureau Form, but it takes forever to get to the "Contact Us" page on the rogers website. I need the info on the Rogers Wireless Co. so I can fill in the blanks. (I keep getting Error 404 when I try to submit the form):eek:

I would like to personnally thank you for filling out the form since I can see you aren't Canadian.

Thanks for spending some of your time and helping us out!

P-79

MV ROB

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Competition is a good thing...Sprint charges $15 for data...no reason ATT or VZW is near $40/month

YAH i really wish ATT would have a truely everything plan starting at $69 and going on up to $99 like sprint does. Im on a family plan with ATT and it will cost me about 150 or more for 550 minutes, 1000 each text and unlmited internet. sprint it is $129 for 1500 minutes and truely unlimited everything else including GPS. I have been with ATT for 10 years now, stayed with them when Cingular did their thing with them. And i have continuely seen them get less competitive. I guess we got rollover (big deal if you ask me) i could care a less about rollover minutes, if i dont use them...i dont need them. id rather have lower date plans for all phones, better text plans (include them with all data plans). I for one would like to see ATT offer more rate plan selections and data selections. Seems like most carriers give a little more selection than ATT. Maybe offer different plans to those of us who dont care about rollover minutes

Anyways...im glad im not with Rogers lol. I see now it could be worse!! Best of luck with yall up there! I dont see ATT doing anythign but raising rates and cutting services. I would LOVE to see the iphone released for other carriers other than GSM. Nothing better than some good competition

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
competition is indeed a good thing, but I personally do not think ATT is as overpriced as others seem to think. I have been with them since PacBell Wireless and Cingular. I personally like the rollover minutes. My current voice plan is 450 a month and it is perfect for me. I have over 1100 minutes on my rollover bank. Most people I call are on ATT so I have free mobile to mobile.

Donelop

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Toronto
[Canada / Rogers / ruinediphone.com] Organized Protest

Everyone Please sign this petition even if your not from canada. The company thats going to sell the iphone in canada is giving us the worst plan in history (400 mbs for 60 dollars). This is the biggest letdown to every one waiting patiently for the iphone and now we must do something about it.

http://ruinediphone.com/

We all ready have 11,240 sigs

Thanks to all who help.

http://ruinediphone.com/

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
You honestly can't believe that petitions, let alone online petitions accomplish much of anything.

Your best bet is to vote with your wallet. If no one buys then they'll have to reduce the cost.

Having many people write letters to whatever your Canadian equivalent of a Congressman or Senator would probably help as well. Enough calmly and well worded letters might get some wheels rolling to end Rogers rule of terror.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
They know it sucks, but they also know that people want the iPhone; bad. So, even with the crappy plan, people will get it anyway.

cis4life

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
agreed,

simply saying that "Rogers Suck" and then going out and buying the phone anyway is pointless and will only have them laughing at you.

Speak with your wallets, boycott the iphone and rogers and see how fast they drop those data plans

I signed your petition anyways, i hope it helps

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I'll continue to agree with everyone that says speak with your wallets but it is a big battle. I think that the petition and protest webs-sites will get media attention (at the very least, a lot of blog attention) which will just raise awareness of the problem... it's a start

nurfen

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2007
Worst plan in history? I take it you haven't heard of the available plans in Sweden?

I just converted the currency from SEK to CAD:
"iMini": 50 CAD (299 SEK) for: 100 minutes, 100 SMS, 100 MB (!!!!!!)
"iMidi": 83 CAD (489 SEK) for: 250 minutes, 250 SMS, 250 MB
"iMaxi": 145 CAD (859 SEK) for: 1000 minutes, 1000 SMS, 1000 MB

These monthly prices are for 18 or 24 months, depending on how much you want to pay for your phone. If you choose iMaxi and 24 months signup, and the 16 GB iPhone, you still get to pay 135 CAD to get the phone. 8 GB costs 1 SEK though, if you choose the most expensive signup. LOL... Apple should sue them.

:(

... but I'm still getting an iPhone on the 11:th. Of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.