Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agent mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
I've noticed recently that my screen brightness will suddenly increase or decrease by itself. When I press one of the control buttons it indicates that it is 3 or 4 steps higher or lower (obviously allowing for the fact that pressing a control button moves you one step anyway!)
I have the 1.8 SDD. I love the machine....but anyone have any ideas about this. It only happens under battery power.
Cheers,
Josh

tuinte

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
agent mac:

System Preferences > Displays > Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes.

Turn it on or off. It's a battery-saving option. I disable it.

Michael

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros (MacBooks?) have ambient light sensors that decrease screen brightness when light decreases to save battery life. on MacBook Pros they are under the speaker grills.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
lol all macs (laptops and smart mobiles) have light sensors in them that save the battery and help to maximise the vision that you have on the screen blaa blaa. you can turn it off as was said above.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
yeh i could of just researched it myself ay… but im lazy :rolleyes:

on the MacBook's tech specs page http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html it has no mention of an ambient light sensor.

i hope the new MacBooks will have it in addition to aluminium casing as im looking for a more portable Mac (Airs too expensive).

thats tru there is no mention on the MB specs, but there isnt a mention of light sensors on the MBP's page either (from my quickly done "guy-look" anyways).

you want alu' in the MB's? i donno if id want that, it would kind of make my MBP look less important :rolleyes:

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
search for "ambient" on the MacBook Pro tech specs page using Safari's groovy search feature. haha guy look :D:p… my mum says that all the time.

yeh but i want to sell my core duo MBP for a MacBook for the smaller screen size and then build my own PC for the graphics side of things and i love the aluminium look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.