Size:  47.1 KB

Life depends on change, and renewal...

Last edited by Blue Velvet; Jul 8, 2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Added link
Jaffa Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 01:19 PM   #2
dalvin200
macrumors 68040

Any Dr Who Fans? Need help...

In my sons primary school, his teacher has placed all the kids into a group of 3-4 children..
its based on the Dr Who theme..

So my son is in the "Cyberman" group.. and there's also an "Adipose" group etc...

There's one group I cannot seem to work out what it is..
the way he pronounces it (he's 4) is "BannerKafaLaka"..

I have no idea if that's one word or 3 words but just cannot find out what it is... at first I thought it was he Banner Men, but it's not.. as "KafaLaka" doesn't appear (haha)

Searched many google sites including this one and this one

if anyone is an avid Dr Who fan and can help out, it'd be greatly appreciated
Old Jan 13, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
bartelby
macrumors Core

Bannakaffalatta

from Voyage of the Damned
bartelby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
dalvin200
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
Bannakaffalatta

ahhh .. brilliant

kaffalaTTa....

as soon as i showed my son this picture he said that it's the one

scary!!

Cheers Bartelby
Old Jan 13, 2009, 01:29 PM   #5
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
If you are a fan of the series you might also be interested to read through our official thread on the subject here on MacRumors.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 01:29 PM   #6
dalvin200
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Bannakaffalatta

ahhh .. brilliant

kaffalaTTa....

as soon as i showed my son this picture he said that it's the one

Attachment 152820

scary!!

Cheers Bartelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shard~ View Post
If you are a fan of the series you might also be interested to read through our official thread on the subject here on MacRumors.
not a fan... but obviously my sons teacher is

Last edited by WildCowboy; Jan 13, 2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: removed quote of and response to deleted post
dalvin200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 01:36 PM   #7
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalvin200 View Post
not a fan... but obviously my sons teacher is
Yes, obviously a serious one at that as those are some less obvious choices, as opposed to just using Cybermen and Daleks.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 01:38 PM   #8
bartelby
macrumors Core

Quote:
Yes, obviously a serious one at that as those are some less obvious choices, as opposed to just using Cybermen and Daleks.
Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe would have been a good one to pick...
bartelby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 01:41 PM   #9
dalvin200
macrumors 68040

Quote:
yes, there's Daleks as well.. i mean.. i know o the usual suspects, but when kids go home and start telling their parents "i''m in the bannakaffaltte" group... i'd be like wtf school is this?

another group is EMPRESS OF RACNOSS!!

Quote:
Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe would have been a good one to pick...
I actually (attempted) to read that to him and he just looked at me blank faced.. so I assume that wasn't one of them

I also really love this pic:... although needs updating to use an iPhone 3G .. PHONE HOME (or is that ET? LMAO)

Thumb resize.

Last edited by Blue Velvet; Jan 13, 2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: timg tags for large pix, thanks
dalvin200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Dagless
macrumors Core

Coincidence of coincidences... was just grabbing a DVD from the living room and caught the very tail end of Graham Norton. Didn't hear what he was babbling on about but I did see an animated Norton getting blasted by a Dalek .
No doubt it'll be on the 'tube soon enough.

edit: tail end - wishful thinking.

Last edited by Dagless; May 3, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:55 PM   #11
cosmichobo
macrumors 6502

Doctor Who fans?

G'day,

Do you just love Doctor Who? New, or old?

Imagine if you couldn't watch it ever again... No DVD or BluRay... no copy on iTunes... no torrents or home recording devices...

Some of you may not know, but 106 episodes of Doctor Who from 1963 - 69 are missing from the BBC archives. During the 70's, it was decided to destroy their master copies (as well as other tv shows in their archives), as there was no foreseen further use for them.

Then in the late 70's... the home video market began, and the BBC did a big facepalm...

A team of fans/archivists began a worldwide search to recover the episodes that had been junked... searching for the 16mm copies that had been sent overseas to foreign broadcasters. These copies were either meant to be sent on to other countries down the chain, returned to the BBC, or destroyed once the broadcaster had used their licensed screenings.

But this didn't always happen... and these copies had a tendency to pop up at the most unexpected places... car boot sales... school fetes... church basements... uncle Jo's attic...

Today, 106 episodes are still missing.

The reason I am telling you all this, is that there are millions of Doctor Who fans around the world, but not everyone knows about these missing episodes. Indeed, most of the recent finds have come from people who didn't realise that what they had in their possession was not in the BBC's archives...

If you know anyone who collects film... Just ask them if they have any old Doctor Who... or if they MIGHT have some... Because the fact is, this is our best hope now of retrieving these lost episodes... and if we wait too long, then as these old film collectors pass on, their families will no doubt see no value in an old 16mm reel of film... and it will end up as landfill...

This is a list of the missing episodes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_..._lost_episodes

Please give this some thought.

Cheers

cosmic
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Doctor Who has its very own thread here, as it happens it's been stuck in a time warp for a while but will no doubt get moving again once the new series starts.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 06:49 AM   #13
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Hooray! The new series starts tonight at 7.20pm, at least for us Englandshirers.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 09:37 AM   #14
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Indeed, looking forward to seeing what the new season has in store - from the previews there is definitely loads of potential! Steven Moffat has been doing a great job so far IMO and I trust his level of quality will continue...
Old Aug 4, 2013, 02:34 PM   #15
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Peter Capaldi then - good luck to him!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 02:59 PM   #16
DAC47
macrumors 6502

Genuinely surprised by that choice.
Nice to have a Doctor who's is older than me. (again).
DAC47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 03:03 PM   #17
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Brilliant choice!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 04:04 PM   #18
0dev
macrumors 68040

"If some Dalek can **** something up, that Dalek will pick the worst possible time to ****ing **** it up because that Dalek's a Dalek."
Old Aug 4, 2013, 04:59 PM   #19
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Not familiar with him (other than "Fires of Pompeii" I guess) but looking forward to seeing him as the new Doctor.

He looks like an older David Tenant to me...
Old Oct 7, 2013, 01:19 PM   #20
Watabou
macrumors 68030

I will be delighted if the above post is true! I only watched the second doctor's War Games episode and would love to watch more of his episodes. The second doctor is one of my favorites, after Pertwee, of course.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:26 PM   #21
cosmichobo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watabou View Post
I will be delighted if the above post is true! I only watched the second doctor's War Games episode and would love to watch more of his episodes. The second doctor is one of my favorites, after Pertwee, of course.
Whether it's 2 Troughton's, or 100 Hartnell's & Troughton's that have been found, it's potentially amazing news, considering only 4 or so episodes have been found over the past 10 years.

That said, Radio Times has now provided an update, stating that the Wednesday event is now pushed back to Friday... which sadly sounds very much like the stall tactics that many hoaxes of this nature follow... (Though let's hope it's genuine...)

Watabou - not sure from your post if you've only seen Toughton's The War Games, or just recently seen it... But - whilst there aren't many complete examples of Troughton to enjoy, I'd strongly suggest Tomb of the Cybermen, and The Mind Robber... Though you could buy The Ice Warriors, which was just recently released on DVD with its 2 missing episodes replaced by fairly good animations.

I buy all of these completed-by-animation releases (The Invasion, Reign of Terror, The Ice Warriors, and coming soon, The Tenth Planet, The Moonbase, and The Underwater Menace), because - assuming they didn't just find 95% of all missing episodes in Africa, I'd like to see other partial stories released with animation in place of the missing episodes... even potentially full stories like the pivotal Power of the Daleks... and hopefully by showing support for these DVDs by buying them, the BBC will get the message...
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:40 PM   #22
Watabou
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
Watabou - not sure from your post if you've only seen Toughton's The War Games, or just recently seen it... But - whilst there aren't many complete examples of Troughton to enjoy, I'd strongly suggest Tomb of the Cybermen, and The Mind Robber... Though you could buy The Ice Warriors, which was just recently released on DVD with its 2 missing episodes replaced by fairly good animations.

I buy all of these completed-by-animation releases (The Invasion, Reign of Terror, The Ice Warriors, and coming soon, The Tenth Planet, The Moonbase, and The Underwater Menace), because - assuming they didn't just find 95% of all missing episodes in Africa, I'd like to see other partial stories released with animation in place of the missing episodes... even potentially full stories like the pivotal Power of the Daleks... and hopefully by showing support for these DVDs by buying them, the BBC will get the message...

I have only seen War Games because the time I watched it, (about two years ago), all his episodes were either half restored or audio only. I really tried listening to just audio but it just isn't the same.

I now see that some of his episodes are available like the Mind Robbers and the Dominators. I definitely want to watch those.

Also, I'm not sure which episode the second Doctor meets the Brigadier because Brigadier mentions he met the Doctor before his third reincarnation. Maybe that episode is missing too. I'm going to try and find that episode and see if I can watch that.

Also where can do you actually go to buy these? Maybe I can buy a DVD of the second Doctor's available episodes? I didn't see anything by searching the BBC website.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:00 AM   #23
cosmichobo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have only seen War Games because the time I watched it, (about two years ago), all his episodes were either half restored or audio only. I really tried listening to just audio but it just isn't the same.
Pat Troughton stared in 21 stories over 3 years (1966-69), or around 110 half hour episodes. Of those, only 6 stories are completely intact: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Krotons, The Dominators, The Mind Robber, The Seeds of Death, The War Games. These, plus The Ice Warriors and The Invasion (both missing 2 episodes) were all released on VHS in the 80's/90's. Often these VHS releases featured little restoration work, and some in particular were rather poor quality. They are now all available on DVD with vastly improved picture and audio, plus lots of extras.

There are about 13 "orphaned" episodes from Troughton's era - episodes that don't make a full story. These episodes are all available on the special "Lost in Time" box set DVD (inc Hartnell's orphan episodes too). Subject to the possible news this week, Lost in Time is a great buy if you enjoy this era of Doctor Who, as whilst you may not get the full story, there are some great moments on these orphaned episodes.

Yes, listening to a Doctor Who story that only exists as audio is very difficult... I LOVE Doctor Who, have done all my life, but even I have only listened to a small handful of the audios... (Incidentally - they exist thanks to several fans who recorded the audio tracks by placing a cassette recorder next to their TV, because they had to go to work/etc, but didn't want to miss the show. It's amazing that we have this option, that has now allowed the BBC to create animations to go with the audio tracks for stories that are missing only 1-2 episodes, and release them on DVD.)

Quote:
I now see that some of his episodes are available like the Mind Robbers and the Dominators. I definitely want to watch those.
MR is a 10/10 for me... Dominators... 4/10... Still fun at times though.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure which episode the second Doctor meets the Brigadier because Brigadier mentions he met the Doctor before his third reincarnation. Maybe that episode is missing too. I'm going to try and find that episode and see if I can watch that.
Sadly, that first encounter between the Second Doctor and then Corporal Lethbridge-Stewart occurred late in The Web of Fear. Episode 1 of that story exists, but that is all... You can however watch The Invasion, which is the UNIT origin story, when Lethbridge-Stewart is re-introduced, now with the rank of Brigadier, and in charge of his own special team investigating alien invasions etc... The Invasion is missing 2 out of 8 of its episodes, but they have been brought back to life with the aforementioned animations with original soundtracks.

Quote:
Also where can do you actually go to buy these? Maybe I can buy a DVD of the second Doctor's available episodes? I didn't see anything by searching the BBC website.
Some episodes are on iTunes... but other than that, they are certainly available in the US on DVD... Earlier (ie early 2000's) I think the DVDs took a while to reach the US, but now they are released within a few weeks of the UK release dates.

Amazon certainly has them... though - as a test I just tried finding "The Invasion", and Amazon want US$59! It's only AU$19 here in Australia...

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Inv...r+who+invasion
https://shop.abc.net.au/products/doc...the-invasion-1

Looking at other titles, The Invasion must be rare or something, as usually you're only looking at US$20.

(Yes, Doctor Who is not cheap to buy, compared to other franchises, though these days you should be able to pick up stories for around $10 on eBay etc... )
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:50 AM   #24
Watabou
macrumors 68030

Thanks a lot for the post and Amazon links (but $59 for Invasion )!

I did watch the all the UNIT episodes. I believe after the second doctor, I have watched every episode until the episode that I'm on now (with the Fourth Doctor). Pertwee's episodes were of course easier to watch than the first two Doctors, mainly because of the color. I think there were still Pertwee episodes that I watched that were not fully in color but they were really enjoyable, especially the introduction of Roger Delgado, my favorite reincarnation of The Master.

I have to say, I really enjoyed all the UNIT episodes, with the Brigadier, Benton, Yates and others. It's really sad that only John Levene (he played Benton) is still alive today. Most of the Third Doctor's companions are no longer with us.

I liked how they announced the death of The Brigadier in the 10th Doctor's last episode. That was really well done, and of course, sad. He was one of my favorite characters since the Third Doctor.

Currently, I'm on the second last episode of the Fourth Doctor. I'm sort of leaving it for the last second, because I just don't want it to be over. Haha, it's worse than what I felt when the Third Doctor had to regenerate. I was literally depressed for a whole month (No Venusian Aikaido, lullabies, or brilliant sword fights with Roger Delgado! ). I already had to get over the fact that I won't see Romana again.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 08:12 AM   #25
cosmichobo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well aren't you the luckiest b@stard in the world...

The Web of Fear, the Brigadier (Colonel)'s first story is now on iTunes, after being missing from the BBC's archives for decades...

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion