Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi everyone,

I have an Alcatel 735 phone with Infrared capability, and I think I could get some software written for it based on http://openobex.sourceforge.net and gammu, but I would like to know what are my options for IR. I have a USB to Serial Adaptor, and am thinking about making a Serial to IR adaptor. Anyone know if this is possible?

What USB-IR bridges have people sucessfully used (not necessarily with this phone but in general), or alternatively Serial-IR adaptors?

I would like to initially sync contacts and scheduler events, but also one day sync pictures etc (phone has built in camera), and maybe sometimes use it as a modem for with my PB12.

Does anyone know if Mac OS X has a API for programming IrDA applications? I don't really want to have to write any kernel extensions.... :(

Any GSM phone sync utils in general?

Cheers, Hugo.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I know that there are a lot of IR wireless keyboards and mice for OSX that come with USB-IR adatpers.

hugov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
IR Keyboards/Mice

Thanks 7on, you are right, but USB keyboards and mice use a propiertery IR interface, and not the IrDA standard. They present themselves to the computer (usually) as a standard wired keyboard or mice I think. Nice idea though...

Has anyone used IrDA sucessfully with an external USB or Serial to IrDA bridge? How bout a homemade one... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.