Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbwinkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I have a first gen iPhone and lately the vibrate has been going in and out on it. For example, it will be just as good as a new iPhone but 2 minutes later the vibrate may be completely dull and useless. Would this be replaceable under applecare? I bought the phone/applecare in February. To add to the problem, the back has some normal wear and tear on it but I dropped it once in April and the corner just got scratched up. Will Apple say the drop damaged the vibrate? :(

Thanks.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
All I can say is I have a similar problem, except the vibrate motor on my iPhone cuts out completely. Since I bought it last June, I'm beyond my warranty. I would call Applecare / go to a local Apple store and ask them about a replacement.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The vibrate going should be covered under Applecare. As for whether they'll claim abuse, it depends on how much visible damage there is.

It shouldn't be too big a deal for them to fix the vibrate function though. On most phones, it's merely a flywheel that's heavily weighted to it's extremely out of balance. When a motor attached to it turns on, the flywheel spins and the out-of-balance weight is thrown about, causing the vibration.

857motoX

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
I had the same problem with my first gen iPhone where the vibrate would sometimes be good as new and other times I could barely feel it vibrating. The first time I brought it into the genius bar they restored it :confused: and said "if it keeps happening, bring it back and we will give you a replacement.... Well, guess what!!! IT WAS STILL HAPPEINING!! I was back at the genius bar the next day with the same genius helping me. MY IPHONE WAS ONCE AGAIN RESTORED AND I WAS SENT HOME WITH NO NEW REPLACEMENT!:mad: :mad:
:mad:

When I got back home from the apple store that day I hopped on my MacBook and listed my iPhone on eBay :D now I have a 3g:cool:

takethepicture

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Vibrate dying?

Well, here is the deal.

I just recently had my iPhone replaced for the third time during my warranty period. This third phone is just as messed up as the others, except now it presents a new problem. The vibrate seems to die... it just isn't strong. Until that is... I go into the settings and discover the sound level has turned itself down. Odd right? It goes to about 3/4 the full level. As soon as I turn that level back up, then put the phone back onto vibrate, everything is perfect again. It is really stupid.

Here you go. Try it. Good luck.

:apple:Jeni:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.