Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse0122

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I'm in the process of being hired by apple and I was wondering when they do the background check. I was already offered the job, so does that mean they already did it? Do they do it after they offer the job? I'm so confused...

eclipse0122

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I worry because I heard that if the dates for previous employers are wrong at all they deny you employment. I have the worst memory ever and I can't get the dates right if I tried. So I wonder if they just run the criminal check off your social or something and not tell you. I have no idea how it works, so i'm just curious if they had already run it.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Generally background checks make sure you haven't been arrested, that you did in fact work at jobs you listed on your resume, etc. If you were required to get a drug test as part of your employment this would happen after the offer but before you started, and also fall into the background check category.

Most stores, especially ones with electronic merchandise, will do cursory background checks on employees. Since there's some astoundingly high statistic of internal theft over external theft, for insurance and loss prevention reasons they like to thoroughly vet people they've hired.

eclipse0122

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Well I definitely worked at all the jobs on my resume and I don't even have so much as a speeding ticket. I just don't know the dates I started and ended each job and I heard they're sticklers for that stuff. So I was just wondering if they had already done the background check prior to extending the offer.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Well I definitely worked at all the jobs on my resume and I don't even have so much as a speeding ticket. I just don't know the dates I started and ended each job and I heard they're sticklers for that stuff. So I was just wondering if they had already done the background check prior to extending the offer.

I've worked retail HR, but not Apple, and my guess is that they checked most of the big stuff before they hired you.

Also, if you're off by a few weeks on either end its not terribly important. That kind of stuff can be verified pretty easily and no one expects you to have detailed records of your exact start date for each job. As long as its not a huge difference its fine (ie, I started working at company X at the end of june, but I put down my start date as July. Not a problem. But if I say I started at company x in June, and in reality I started in August, that's a problem.)

charliedavidson

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
just an addition..

in my experience, discrepancies such as minor differences in hiring and termination dates do not really have that much weight in deciding whether or not an employee will get hired, the check will just include a criminal background check, and looking if you have any felony convictions or arrest warrants..(in my company anyway) so no need to worry about you dates issue.. I was in HR before by the way..

Last edited:

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
I worry because I heard that if the dates for previous employers are wrong at all they deny you employment.

I've done some hiring and chances are the dates get checked to see if you're hiding a gap that could mean:

-- you were incarcerated. If the sequence of companies check out and you left one to go work somewhere else, they probably won't mind. And if the gaps coincide with normal start/end dates at a school/college, they won't mind that either.

-- you were unemployed for a lengthy period. No one would begrudge a person some pride for not wanting to reveal a lengthy period out of work, but are you hiding it because you're proud or because you're dishonest?

If they found reasons to ask questions, they'd ask the questions. If you were offered the job, I wouldn't worry about it.

mt

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I was really happy I had a background check done at the company I worked at last year. Turns out I'd been driving on an expired license for 3 months!

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
All companies do is call previous employers and ask them if they would re-hire them. They can go into certain specifics, but your old company is not allowed to release all your information.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006

Oh no my friend you are screwed... Apple is going to reject you and then other companies will find out you were rejected by Apple and they will keep rejecting you. You shouldn't have turn in that sort of information to Apple.

Just kidding, I have no clue, no one has their resumes in order ever. I haven't fix mine in 5 years or so.

brax.j

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
I work for Apple and they don't say you can't post on rumors sites but they do say there is certain stuff your not allowed to post about. OP if you have been offered the job I'm pretty sure they did the background check (at least thats when they did it for me).

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Many companies do credit checks now too.

I don't see why they wouldn't allow entry employees to post on boards, its not like they are going to get some super secret apple information.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I work for Apple and they don't say you can't post on rumors sites but they do say there is certain stuff your not allowed to post about. OP if you have been offered the job I'm pretty sure they did the background check (at least thats when they did it for me).

From what I have been told, people are told not to even frequent these sites. Users like iGary took a leave of absence from this site for that exact reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.