Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miklewis7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Just bought an unlocked and jailbroken 2.0 firmware iphone from the US, on its way to me in Australia, just wondering if when i register it iTunes incase i want to use the apple store, will it lock my iphone back up again?

Thanks

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Why will it lock it? I thought registration of the iPhone was just so you can use the apple store?...what clever checks does the registration process carry out on the phone then?

miklewis7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
that sucks if it does!! will i not be able to use it with itunes at all then? i suppose it wont be too bad if the cydia (if thats its name??) program on it can access all the same apps?

elmote

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
registering unlock

Just to be clear, you can synch with ITunes and buy things, including apps from the ITunes store and it will not re-lock your phone. I may have misinterpreted your question originally. However, if you select update when ITunes says a new software version is available for your ITunes it will lock it again.

miklewis7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
oh that should be ok then. basically i was in the apple shop and tried to download a free app to one of the iphones in there, when i put in my itunes username and password it said i only had an itunes account and not an iphone account so i couldnt do it. when i asked a staff member she said i would have to register the iphone to get have my account upgraded, i told her about the phone i'm getting and she said she thought it would lock the phone up if i tried to do that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.