Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nullriver, Inc. has released NetShare onto the iTunes App Store this evening (via iPhone Alley). The $9.99 application promises to allow you to share your iPhone's network connection with your computer.
Share your iPhone's EDGE or 3G Internet connection with your computer using NetShare. NetShare provides a SOCKS5 proxy for your computer to connect to.
Screenshots of the application will be included shortly.

Article Link

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Can a cell provider tell how the data is being used? As far as I know Rogers doesn't allow this, but would they even know or would they just see it as data usage?

a1016neo

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Hmmm... It's weird that Apple approved this App... It seems like AT&T (Not Apple) does not want tethering on the iphone...

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Should we start the threads now about excessive AT&T bills and canceled accounts?

Also, it seems like this would've been one of those breaking the developer contract issues, seeing as they pretty much lockdown everything nonstandard.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
well, is someone going to try it? I would only use it in emergencies where I can't get coverage like when I was in the sticks in Macon georgia and my aunt had no internet.

- James

Radam

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
I want this so bad, but if im going to be billed for excessive use that is just crap. we paid 200 for the phone and like 90 a month for the service (unlimited texting) and we can't tether our phone? I hope something official comes from at&t soon.

4ndr3w

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Chicago
I bought it and installed it incase it gets pulled, but am going to wait and let other people test it before I use it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The app crashed on launch on my iPhone 3G, but I've been having multiple apps crashing on my iPhone 3G, so it may not be the app.
It launched successfully on my original iPhone, but unfortunately that iPhone has no service.

Note: someone else said it worked for them: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5949495/

arn

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
It's hardly worth it for those of us still with Edge iPhones, but for those with the new phones, that's amazingly good news. If I'm not mistaken, this is already allowed on many other AT&T phones, but "banned" (as it were) from the iPhone... I'm interested to see how AT&T handles the release of this application.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
It's hardly worth it for those of us still with Edge iPhones, but for those with the new phones, that's amazingly good news.

I'm going to install it just because I know if I don't now, I'll be kicking myself that ONE time I need it.

It launched successfully on my original iPhone, but unfortunately that iPhone has no service.

ahhhh, welcome to my LIFE! :p

igglepuff

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Can a cell provider tell how the data is being used? As far as I know Rogers doesn't allow this, but would they even know or would they just see it as data usage?

actually, with rogers 6gb plan (6gb for $30 promo ATM) tethering IS allowed to my knowledge - i've asked a few CSRs... data is data on this plan, though youcant use an aircard.. whatever they're called, according ot their guidelines. This way should work nomatter whast ant not be able to tell what data is being used now, as it is using the phone as a proxy, thereby the phone is pulling teh data an relaying it to your laptop.

g.c.

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
actually, with rogers 6gb plan (6gb for $30 promo ATM) tethering IS allowed to my knowledge - i've asked a few CSRs... data is data on this plan, though youcant use an aircard.. whatever they're called, according ot their guidelines. This way should work nomatter whast ant not be able to tell what data is being used now, as it is using the phone as a proxy, thereby the phone is pulling teh data an relaying it to your laptop.

I just added the 6GB plan today, and i believe you are correct. Although... I have a 1st generation phone right now and I have to wait until September for the 3G. I'm definitely going to buy this when I get the 3G phone. It will be well worth it.

beaglebark

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
Good deal.

Good value, but that is if it is accepted by att. Data for att cost 50 a month with a laptop connect, i think. OR pay 30 on top of your cell plan and get an iphone, i am seeing value.

My one problem: didn't nullriver make the installer app for the jailbreak? That dumb thing crashed, broke, and the ipod had to be restored on my friends ipod. :mad:

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
As long as ATT doesn't get (deleted), I'll jump in for $10 phht... $10 for emergency bandwidth when I am with my notebook and not around wifi?

No prob.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.