Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I'm in the hunt for some good quality resonably priced headphones for my iPhone. Mainly will be used in the office or on the plane (taking a flight soon). I prefer outer ear cups instead of in ear buds. But here are a couple I'm looking at. Skullcandy and Sennheisers

So what is everybody using show us some pics and opinions.

Attachments

• Lowriders.jpg
    Lowriders.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,023
  • skullcrushers.jpg
    skullcrushers.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 970
  • sennheiserHD280.jpg
    sennheiserHD280.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,013

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I'm positive I've seen an identical thread to this flying around somewhere, I'll have to see if I can dig it up...

I'm currently using Sennheiser EH 150 Headphones. They do the job nicely for the price.

607980m.jpg

EDIT: Y'know, I can't find the darn thread to save my life. Darnit!

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
I've got two pairs of these. I use one of them at work to drown out the crap my co-worker plays. ;)
Sennheiser PX 100 :)

31V3SPJPNAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I'm positive I've seen an identical thread to this flying around somewhere, I'll have to see if I can dig it up...

I'm currently using Sennheiser EH 150 Headphones. They do the job nicely for the price.

607980m.jpg

EDIT: Y'know, I can't find the darn thread to save my life. Darnit!

Thats okay we can use this one.;)

btw, I do like those cans and they are a pretty good price. Do they connect directly into the iPhone jack or do you need an adapter?

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
For headphones I have the Bose QC2's and LOVE them. They are perfect for plane trips and other noisy environments and sound great. I also just got the Bang and Olufsen Earset 3. I know you were asking for headphones, but these are not like in-ear earbds. They have amazing sound and always stay on and fit many differently shaped ears. Also, for iPhone users, it has a built-in mic for answering calls and controlling playback. (one click pause/play, 2 clicks for changing the song) Hope this helps! :)

Attachments

• qc2.jpg
    qc2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 66
  • EarSet3.JPG
    EarSet3.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 79

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
omg headphones hate me

my ipod has seen
3 pairs of apple headphones (which i think suck, i like the in ear ones)
4 pairs of skullcandy smokin buds
7 pairs of skullcandy, the like lowest one they had (i used to forget my headphones on my computer and they were 10 bucks at the time, and were not that bad)
1 set of apple in ear ones, best buy rips you for 80 when at apple they are 40(i did not think they were that good)

and maybe a few more.
i have broken all of them, except the apple in ears, which i returned cause of the disgusting price.

i am currently waiting for skullcandy to send me two new sets.

i have treated the first few of headphones kinda harshly but after like 3 pairs i started not bending the jack so tight when i wrap them around my ipod, and not sitting on them, just keeping them in front pocket, or a padded pocket in my backpack.

i swear i have wasted so much of my time dealing with all of this.

im thinking of getting the skullcandy full metal jacket, as when you get something fixed by them you can either get a replacement or 50% off on new ones, (to get it, you don't even have to show you have baught one, just go to the web site and say they are broken, and once you get an rma, just click the link for the 50% off)

if anyone has good in ear headphones i would be very happy for some good ones

'
edit: i didn't even read the first post , sorry
do not buy skullcandy outer ear headphones, they have horrible sound quality, i used my friends when my headphones were being replaced. seriously the worst i have heard out of outer ear headphones

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
lol i just have the original earbuds from my ipod touch. works great, nce form factor, slim and compact and white. it also lets ppl know i have an ipod not some cheapskate headphones from other "mp3 players".

Walter P Henson

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
omg headphones hate me
i didn't even read the first post , sorry
do not buy skullcandy outer ear headphones, they have horrible sound quality, i used my friends when my headphones were being replaced. seriously the worst i have heard out of outer ear headphones

I would have to disagree with you I have both earbuds and outer ear skullcandy headphones all of which have excellent sound quality.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
I would have to disagree with you I have both earbuds and outer ear skullcandy headphones all of which have excellent sound quality.

maybe my friend had a lower model than you,
but really honestly,
there was no bass at all, the highs were barely there,
(they might have been blown out so...)

but really, i would rather use the cheapo headphones that go over your head that are black and just sit on top of your ear

like the ones in computer class or what you got on your first cd player

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I have two pairs of Sensaphonics 2X-S and a pair of Sony SA5000.

Attachments

• Prophonics2Xs.jpg
    Prophonics2Xs.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 82
  • mdr-sa5000.jpg
    mdr-sa5000.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 77

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
For headphones I have the Bose QC2's and LOVE them. They are perfect for plane trips and other noisy environments and sound great. I also just got the Bang and Olufsen Earset 3. I know you were asking for headphones, but these are not like in-ear earbds. They have amazing sound and always stay on and fit many differently shaped ears. Also, for iPhone users, it has a built-in mic for answering calls and controlling playback. (one click pause/play, 2 clicks for changing the song) Hope this helps! :)

A former co-worker of mine had the QC2s and they did sound awesome along with the noise canceling. The price is a tad higher than I want to pay right now I think. The ceiling right now as far as price I want to pay is $100.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 555s for my gaming needs and these:

84b56936.jpg

I recently got my mother a pair too, but she has the box.

I also have Shure E2c, E3c, E4c, Sony EX-51, Apple in-ear, regular Apple, Sennheiser PX-200. (But these are in a box and I don't use them anymore)

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

benlangdon said:
ISensaphonics 2X-S

how are these?
what type of music do you listen to?

The Sensaphonics are great - they have a slightly warm sound, but they're crystal clear and a real treat to listen to. I listen to rock mostly, buy also jazz, rap, and classical.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Thats okay we can use this one.;)

btw, I do like those cans and they are a pretty good price. Do they connect directly into the iPhone jack or do you need an adapter?

Heh, just realized this is in the iPhone forum. I don't have one! :eek:

I reckon it should fit without an adaptor, the plug isn't too big.

I've attached a picture of it for you to see. :)

Attachments

• P070808_07.02.JPG
    484.8 KB · Views: 69

divinemercy

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones

41a1MI5E4-L._SS400_.jpg

I just got these in the mail today. They are GREAT. Supposed to be better than the BOSE q2's, while being half the price. I turned on my huge floor-fan, and two vacuums, then put on my headphones with music at half volume. COULDN"T HEAR A THING! They feel great too. Only 120 bucks new from amazon! Also, it comes with a really nice case in which my ipod touch fits perfectly along with the headphones themselvs.

Check out all the great reviews and info:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ANC7-QuietPoint-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B000OMKR8E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218089856&sr=8-1

Great video review too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91765UmkHw&feature=related

Now my only problem is that im going to have to stop downloading illegal music, the difference between that and good quality files is so apparent on these great cans.... ^^

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I use Sennheiser HD280Pro headphones at home and Ultimate Ears metro.fi in-canal earbuds when I'm out and about.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506's and love them. They're about as flat as a headphone can be freq. wise and since they're near impossible to distort you can EQ them to your hearts content to get that exact sound you want. Of course you can just leave them flat to hear what the mixing/mastering engineer heard (~50% of studios use them for monitoring) as well.

They built very well and come with a parts list if something happens to break so you can actually rebuild the entire pair if need be (like a Jeep). They're only $99 and can sometimes be found for $89. They're also very comfortable.

31f9s96EReL._SL500_AA225_.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.