Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hi,

Maybe I'm being paranoid but I've had my iPhone for just over a week now and the button below the screen (home button?) seems to have gotten less sensitive to me pressing it. I mean I now have to press it in quite hard for it to exit an app an get me back to main page. Does anyone else have this issue? Is it a known fault or am I just bein silly.

Thanks guys

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Hi,

Maybe I'm being paranoid but I've had my iPhone for just over a week now and the button below the screen (home button?) seems to have gotten less sensitive to me pressing it. I mean I now have to press it in quite hard for it to exit an app an get me back to main page. Does anyone else have this issue? Is it a known fault or am I just bein silly.

Thanks guys
It's the 2.0 firmware lag, not the button itself.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
It's the 2.0 firmware lag, not the button itself.

It isn't lag, if I press it normally it doesn't eventually work. I have to press it in quite hard as if the sensitivity of the button has decreased. Just wondered if anyone elses is like this or it is a fault at all.

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
With my original iPhone, I had it replaced twice for various reasons... What I found interesting was that the home buttons were different on each of the three I had. The first had a very defined "click" meaning that I would definitely know when I had clicked the home button. The other two required more pressure. At times, even though I would feel a click, the button wouldn't register as being pushed. It's the same with my iPhone 3G. I've sort of accepted it as a flaw (honestly, I don't really even consider it a flaw...).

Of course, yours could be worse than what I have experienced, in which case a trip to the Apple Store might be necessary... but this is my experience with my multiple home buttons.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Yeah the button does work, I just have to press it hard. When I click it normally and the button 'clicks' it doesn't register unless I hit it hard.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
With my original iPhone, I had it replaced twice for various reasons... What I found interesting was that the home buttons were different on each of the three I had. The first had a very defined "click" meaning that I would definitely know when I had clicked the home button. The other two required more pressure. At times, even though I would feel a click, the button wouldn't register as being pushed. It's the same with my iPhone 3G. I've sort of accepted it as a flaw (honestly, I don't really even consider it a flaw...).

Of course, yours could be worse than what I have experienced, in which case a trip to the Apple Store might be necessary... but this is my experience with my multiple home buttons.

I noticed the same thing, but with the sleep/wake buttons on the two first-gen iPhones I've had. The first one was nice and clicky, and the one I have now has no real defined click. Everything else is perfect, so I have no reason to turn it in :)

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Yeah the button does work, I just have to press it hard. When I click it normally and the button 'clicks' it doesn't register unless I hit it hard.
Still sounds like system lag to me. It just appears as if you are not pressing hard enough because system isn't responding, and then you press again "harder" and the system responded. But in actuality, it's the lag and thus when you press the 2nd time it responded as it would after the lag.

If above is not the case, then go get it replaced. Genius bar doesn't ask many questions when you ask to replace 3G.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
There is no reason to just deal with any problem with your shiny new iPhone.

The rule is:

If you think there is something wrong with your iPhone, anything at all, make an appointment at the Genius Bar.

Most likely they'll give you a brand new iPhone to replace the potentially malfunctioning one that you have.

If they don't, all you lose is a little time that you spent traveling to and from the Apple Store.

hsleiman

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
Morgantown, WV
I have the same home button problem on mine. Definitely not lag as my other two 3Gs didnt have this problem. This one also has a shaky sleep/wake button. I'm thinking about just dealing with it because I'm scared I'll get a crappier phone if I go and exchange it. Is your home button harder to press when the phone is plugged in? It's strange but mine definitely is.

alexbo

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Ellensburg, WA
I have this same issue. My home button had always worked fine, and recently it has become way less sensitive (I didn't update to 2.0, so I am positive it is not just lag). It is pretty frustrating, because often times I will hit it and nothing happens --sometimes I wait an extra second, thinking it might be lag, and then I realize nothing is going to happen and it needs another push. It sounds nit-picky, but wasting 2 seconds of my time whenever I look at my phone makes a big difference in my user experience.

I figure there is just dirt in there or something. The click is still clear, but I have to push much harder than just enough to make the click before the phone responds to the signal. I'm out of warranty, so I'm looking for any advice I can get to "clean" that button and make it work better again.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I got mine exchanged! Really pleased. :D At first I was worried because it was workin fine for the guy in the shop then it started to play up and he swapped it for me. He was a nice guy to be fair.

From my experience, like the other posts have said, if it's anything at all then take it back to the shop to get it sorted if you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.