Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
So I got this 1.6GHz G5 for pretty cheap thinking it might be fixable. So far I've been wrong. It was sold to me without a power supply, so I was forced to buy one off ebay just to see if the thing had any life at all. I purchased a cheap, used, and "untested" power supply and installed it. When turned on, the G5 has almost no sign of life. Almost. The Power supply fans run, the HD spins up, and the red LED that alerts you of the air deflector not being in place lights up when its supposed to. Thats it though, No startup chime or anything else. I've made a short VIDEO of the G5 so you can better see what I'm talking about here. Any idea as to what the source of the problem could be? Logicboard? Processor? Power supply? Let me know if you guys have any advice.

rfruth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Texas
great youtube video ! wish I had a quick snappy answer for you but I don't, know someone with a working G5 you can swap parts with for troubleshooting :confused:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I just bought a Powermac, too, and read up on them.

One odd thing i read was, make sure the ram and processor and all video cards are seated properly. History of bad video cards on them, make sure your connections are clean as a whistle.

The 1.6 had a 400 or so powersupply. Others have a 600 watt or so powersupply. Make sure you have the lower wattage.

Check all cards and the processor to make sure they are making proper connections.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I just bought a Powermac, too, and read up on them.

One odd thing i read was, make sure the ram and processor and all video cards are seated properly. History of bad video cards on them, make sure your connections are clean as a whistle.

The 1.6 had a 400 or so powersupply. Others have a 600 watt or so powersupply. Make sure you have the lower wattage.

Check all cards and the processor to make sure they are making proper connections.
Well I know I got the right power supply. The cards, HD, and RAM are all seated properly as far as I can tell. I really don't think its related to anything like that. Its also been dusted in and out like crazy.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Sounds like a dead logic board to me. No start up chime? Not a good sign; that comes from ROM, and if the ROM's not sending a signal.... well, not good.

The only thing I can think of is maybe you have your HDD jumpered wrong, but I don't think that would make a difference. Check anyway, though.

PSU seems like it's just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.