Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi,

I posted a whie ago that I had problems with my old PowerBook G4 12". It broke ages ago and since then I had not tried to fix it and assumed it was the hard drive. However after taking it to the Apple store, I was told that the hard drive was not broken.

The Apple Genius inspecting the PowerBook was unable to boot the laptop. Sometimes it would whir up and the disc would start but on other times it would not boot. The guys conclusion was that it was either a problem associated with the power button, startup etc., or a logic board problem.

Is there any way I can get to the bottom of this by taking the laptop apart and checking the power button. I assume that fixing the power button is a relatively cheap process if this is causing the problem. Whereas, if it is the logic board, it is not worth the hassle and cost.

I would really like to fix this as I have always like the 12" PowerBook and recently I have been contemplating purchasing a netbook, but if I could fix this, it will suit my needs perfectly.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Well, there's not really an easy way to test the button itself, but it's been known that some PowerBooks have died due to logic board issues, so I would have to say that the logic board is broken and needs to be replaced.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Well, there's not really an easy way to test the button itself, but it's been known that some PowerBooks have died due to logic board issues, so I would have to say that the logic board is broken and needs to be replaced.

dam!!! I really hope this isn't the case as it won't be worth the repair costs for a new logic board. The money can go towards an eee pc 901 and macbook pro.

Thinking back the problem began when I hit the enter key in a temper and it went downhill from there.

Isn't there anyway to take it apart and see if the power button is properly connected?

Thanks

visiondancer

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Have a look at ifixit.com (this might be the right guide) to see if it looks like something you can handle. But if it's currently dead....

I had a similar-sounding problem with my sister's iBook G4 (which I mention because it has some similarity to the 12" powerbook). The cable connecting the power to the logic board had come loose. The Apple-certified repair service diagnosed it as a dead logic board, but when I noticed that while taking it apart for the parts, I plugged it back in and the machine ran fine.

I've seen a lot of strategies around here and the net for keeping track of the parts involved, which I think is the hardest step. One thing I think is worth investing is is a "spudger," which make prying apart the case pieces without scratching them a lot easier--it's a lot like a plastic screwdriver.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well replacing the power button means a new top case, so that would probably be expensive. Motherboard, probably around the same price. Supposedly it's more likely to the be the motherboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.