Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuy119

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
I'm a moron when it comes to network issues, or even server issues. But I don't mind looking like a fool and asking questions when I'm anonymous, so I'm asking here rather than with IT people I know. :)

In starting up a new business, I'm going to need a server. We're going to have a few developers who work on PC only, and I want to get a Mac. As a result, most of my sales staff will also have Macs. Yeah, I'm ruthless.

Can we run that setup off just an Xserve, or am I going to have to rethink how we'll set this up?

Thanks!

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
Xserve Network

Hi,

I have experience setting up homogenous networks.

Let me ask you these questions

1) How many users are you planning?
2) What are your storage capacity needs?
3) What backup solutions have you considered?
4) What software do you sales staff run? Office, Maximizer, Squirrel etc
5) Are you deploying this as a primary server, or adding to an existing network?
6) Do you need centralized AV management for your PC's?
7) What is your budget?

Essentially each question can take you down a series of different paths.

Having OS X Server handling DHCP, DNS, Open Directory & File Sharing can run fine in many mixed environments.

Depending where you are in your network topology, you may be better sourcing out a consulting company who can help you out.

You don't want to deploy a network in a critical work environment with out a proper proposal and discovery phase.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Depending where you are in your network topology, you may be better sourcing out a consulting company who can help you out.

You don't want to deploy a network in a critical work environment with out a proper proposal and discovery phase.
This is true if your in a situation that you dont have freedom to test. However I got a chance to do this with xServe, Macs and PCs.
Its really not that hard if your keeping it simple.
Meaning no crazy email stuff. I got lucky even when I added an xServe RAID in the system :) again if you have room to experiment but no resources (cash for consultants) then have fun ;)

countermike

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
hi..
im also just starting to learn mac server , i want to do this too as i have 3 pcs and 4 macs at home,

can we have like domains like windows servers ? with pcs and mac connecting ( like active directory)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.