Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njguyfla

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
I got it off of Ebay. All that came were the Touch, USB cable and earbuds. I guess it was refurbished or returned. It looks brand new.

I know this sounds like a stupid question.

in the About section of the Touch it says version 2.1 SF137 (does that mean 2nd generation?)

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
If the back is flat, and only rounded at the edges, is a Gen 1.

If the back is continously curved from edge to edge, it's a gen 2.

Hope that helps.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Well the very easiest way is just the volume buttons. If it dosen't have them, it's first gen.

WordLife565

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
Charlotte, NC
you can't tell buy the speaker, because you actually can't see it, its hidden inside. But it's there, its the same speaker that we have been using in iPods for the click wheel sound and the alarm functions.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
you can't tell buy the speaker, because you actually can't see it, its hidden inside. But it's there, its the same speaker that we have been using in iPods for the click wheel sound and the alarm functions.

:rolleyes: it is not a piezo speaker.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
No, no it is not :)

I am *SO* glad (and so surprised!) that it has a speaker! I've desperately wanted one since I got my first iPod. I'm considering buying one before I really need it just because of the speaker.

I am *SO* glad (and so surprised!) that it has a speaker! I've desperately wanted one since I got my first iPod. I'm considering buying one before I really need it just because of the speaker.

Hahaha, I have had mine about 30 hrs and haven't even unwrapped the headphones yet! The speaker was a welcome addition, now just get her a lil' louder Apple... ;) :apple:

WordLife565

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
Charlotte, NC

the speaker is not that great, I used it once to play the soccer game I downloaded, you really won't be able to hear it, unless your in a quiet room.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
the speaker is not that great, I used it once to play the soccer game I downloaded, you really won't be able to hear it, unless your in a quiet room.

exactly, this is why i knew it would be a bad idea for apple to put one in. After the months and months of seeing alot of people complain hear about it not having a speaker, now were gonna get dozens of angry threads (tons of people go over the top for such little things dont they) about people complaining its not good enough or loud enough. You just simply cant put a great/very good sounding speaker in a package that small/thin.,

edit: wordlife this isnt directed at you, i just used your post as a segway to say something

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I'd prefer it be loud of course, but still, having ANYTHING in there is a huge step up from previous iPods. I've toyed with getting an iPhone without using it as a phone, just because the hardware buttons and speaker were worth so much to me...and they more or less added both, which was really everything I wanted

(Aside from someone releasing a solid office suite for it...)

angels lust

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
I'm glad it's not loud. Not because I'd never use it (I doubt I would) but so I don't have to hear what everyone else is listening to or watching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.