Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:00 PM   #1
alphacourt
macrumors newbie

Moving large library from Pc to Mac

I've just done this - i have used the library files from my old PC to preserve my playlists and ratings.

Of course, iTunes doesn't know the new location of the files. I've come across this fix - http://40withegg.com/2008/3/8/mac-at...ially-on-a-nas - but it isn't quite working for me.

Anyone know of any other methods before i get my hands dirty with manually setting file locations?

Thanks, AC
alphacourt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:09 PM   #2
hwojtek
macrumors 6502a

I moved my wife's iTunes library from a PC by copying the whole iTunes folder from Windows "My Music" to Mac, then opening the iTunes Music Library.xml on the Mac (using TextWrangler) and doing a wholesale "Search and Replace" where "Replace" was "C:\Documents and Settings\Monica\My Documents\My Music" and "with" was "file://localhost/Users/Monica/Music/", IIRC

Create a single-file Library on a Mac and take a look into the xml file on a Mac and on the PC so you'd catch the difference between them (the data from <key>Music Folder</key> on the Mac and the relevant one on the PC will be helpful to sort out the paths)

Edit: and I think I did delete all the iTunes files except from the .xml one on the Mac and jsut let the library rebuild...

Last edited by hwojtek; Sep 30, 2008 at 06:27 PM.
hwojtek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 02:58 AM   #3
alphacourt
macrumors newbie

Thanks, hwojtek. I tried that just after posting last night - when i save the XML file and start iTunes it seem to revert back their old locations - file://localhost/F:/ME/iTunes/iTunes%20Music - although any files that i've manually replaced in iTunes retain the correct location - file://localhost/Users/Me/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 03:31 AM   #4
alphacourt
macrumors newbie

Just trying out the Itunes Track CPR script from Doug's Scripts.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod