Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leshii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I've got a 30GB 5th generation iPod.

I recently bought an iMac and because I've been sort of haphazard with my album artwork, I decided to clear it completely from my library. I selected all the files, went to Get Info, and then checked the Artwork box to clear the artwork. And it did. I switched to grid view and saw no artwork, and none showed up in the Artwork column. For the record, when I download album artwork, I check iTunes first and then I download it from wherever I can find it on the web (usually discogs.com or Amazon).

After I moved my library to my new computer about four days ago, I double-checked to make sure no artwork was available. Everything was still blank. The one thing I did notice, however, that there was still an Album Artwork file in the main iTunes directory. I left it alone. Then I synced my iPod. Almost everything was now clear on the iPod, but I notice that some songs still have album artwork attached to them. The "Other Files" space on my iPod dropped from like 600 MB to 350 MB (I have nothing else on my iPod except music).

I know that it's stored in the metadata, but does the iPod hang on to album artwork too? Any ideas? I want to start from scratch.

As a related question, even when files at album artwork (whether direct from iTunes or manually added), it never shows up in the Artwork box in the Get Info screen for multiple files (even if all files have the exact same artwork). Why is that? Is there any purpose to it other than using it to clear multiple songs' artwork?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.