Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bucknoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
To start, I'll admit that I'm very new to Macs and OS X. I downloaded a quicktime file and saved it to my desktop. I want to delete the file, but everytime I try to put it in the trash it says the file is being used by another task. I've tried closing all applications, restarting, shutting down, but the system still says this file is being used by another application. I even tried renaming the file and changing the .mov extension, but it still won't let me delete the file. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107426

Solution

If the partial file is a download

These instructions apply to Microsoft Internet Explorer 5, but may be used as a guide if the issue occurs with a different network-based application.

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Choose Window > Download Manager.
3. Select the name of the partially-downloaded file.
4. Press the Delete key. If this does not work, press Command-Delete.
5. Quit Internet Explorer.

You should now be able to delete the file in the Finder.

If the item is any other kind of file, or the above instructions do not work

1. Rename the file to "remove.rtf"
2. Launch TextEdit (/Applications/TextEdit)
3. Choose File menu > Save As
4. Type: "remove" in the Save As field
5. Select the location where the file is located
6. Click Save, then Replace
7. Quit TextEdit
8. Drag remove.rtf to the Trash

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Check the files Properties (in Macspeak "Get Info"), check to make sure the file in not locked. Also make sure you are not sharing the file. You may also want to Repair Permissions, in Disk Utility. After doing this, you should be able to move it to the trash.

If it still won't delete, move it to the Desktop, and open up Terminal, located in the Utilities Folder under Applications.

Then Type the following

cd Desktop
rm (insert file name here, exactly as written)

That should do it.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.