Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eh6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Hi

I dislike receiving calls from withheld numbers.

My ideal application would be one that allows me to record a message (for example, "You have chosen to block your number, so I have chosen to block your call - please redial and present your number") and play this to anyone who calls from a withheld numbers.

I don't want to be notified of calls.

Does an application exist for this? I can't find anything in the App Store. Does anyone know if one is under development?

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I don't think any app is capable of doing this. Such a service would have to be implemented on AT&T's end, since they're the one operating your voicemail service.

Maybe some third party voicemail services out there like Youmail or GrandCentral have that capability. I think GrandCentral has...but I'm not sure. But of course, it's still in beta and is by invitation only.

eh6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I don't think any app is capable of doing this. Such a service would have to be implemented on AT&T's end, since they're the one operating your voicemail service.

Thankfully not -I'm in Scotland ;-) But yes, I take your point!

What I'm wondering is, as a compromise, if the application could actually sit on my phone, wait until it sees "blocked" as the caller identifier, and then pretend to answer it, so the network is none the wiser - and simply play the recorded message?

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Now that I think about it a little more ... this would likely have to an official Apple "fix" to really exist - since it would affect a core app. Don't think a 3rd party App Store app could do this.

Unless, of course, there's a jailbreak solution .....

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
This entire class of apps is completely impossible using the official SDK so there will not be any apps that do this in the App Store until Apple adds hooks to the phone app to the SDK. Last I heard this would happen right after Hell froze over.

More than likely this can be done on a jailbroken phone...

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
This is certainly possible on a jailbroken phone. There's an app already made for this; I'm almost sure of it.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
This is certainly possible on a jailbroken phone. There's an app already made for this; I'm almost sure of it.

Correct...but only for Jailbroken phones. It allows you to choose numbers to block.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Interesting idea, but there are times when "blocked number" may appear because someone is calling you from a business line. For a while my office showed up as "blocked ID" on certain caller IDs (instead of our main office number).

So in that case there's nothing the caller trying to reach you can do, they are not purposely blocking their number but AT&T isn't picking up the main line because the call is coming from an extension of that line.

Really, do you get that many blocked ids?

eh6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Interesting idea, but there are times when "blocked number" may appear because someone is calling you from a business line. For a while my office showed up as "blocked ID" on certain caller IDs (instead of our main office number).

That's their problem ;-) If it's a business and they want to do business with me, they are welcome to call from a line where the number is given.

As for whether I miss out - I'd rather miss out, than be disturbed by blocked calls.

Really, do you get that many blocked ids?

All sorts! People selling things, debt collectors, people I'm otherwise ignoring or in a huff with....!

I just resent answering withheld calls on principle- it's the same as approaching me in person, with your face covered and refusing to give your name or any other sign of identity - but that, my friends, is a whole other issue!

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Ah, I see. It makes sense, I am just playing devils advocate here because there are some businesses that can't unblock it, and in the case of my business, where I have a professional relationship with clients, my only recourse would be to contact someone via my personal cell phone if the office line was blocked. I understand your point, but there are times when it is inevitable and that might be the motivation enough for apple/AT&T to not allow the phone app to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.