Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I have no idea how they're doing this, but I saw this deal at MacMall while browsing through Cnet reviews yesterday:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~price~107~Redir~1~dpno~7529079.asp

A frickin' BD-Live ready Sony Blu-ray Disc player for under $200!! It's the BDP-S350 if you need the model. My dad bought an older model pre-BD-Live Sony that works pretty well (aside from slow load times). This isn't the best model you can get, but it's a Sony for less than $200.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008

Awesome. I have the BD-P1400, basically that one without BD-Live. It was a steal at $300 a year ago. Pretty good system aside from the occasional flicker like a scratch on a DVD. Firmware upgrades take care of those.

I hope at some point they start building in WiFi. It would be a lot easier to do firmware upgrades that way instead of via CD or ethernet.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Awesome. I have the BD-P1400, basically that one without BD-Live. It was a steal at $300 a year ago. Pretty good system aside from the occasional flicker like a scratch on a DVD. Firmware upgrades take care of those.

I hope at some point they start building in WiFi. It would be a lot easier to do firmware upgrades that way instead of via CD or ethernet.

I have the BDP-1000. Amen to the wifi as I need a firmware update every other week it seems.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I have the BDP-1000. Amen to the wifi as I need a firmware update every other week it seems.

I'm also annoyed that Samsung, and I believe Sony, only have CD-burnable updates available for Windows. Is it REALLY that hard to write a firmware update that can be burned onto a CD using a Mac?

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I'm also annoyed that Samsung, and I believe Sony, only have CD-burnable updates available for Windows. Is it REALLY that hard to write a firmware update that can be burned onto a CD using a Mac?

The updates for the BD-P1000 come as an ISO. It has been awhile, but I don't recall having much trouble burning it with the disk utility.

The Toshiba HD-A1 I owned was extremely picky about the way the ISO was burned to the point of needing special software just to get it right.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Some of us idiots forget that sometimes the manufacturers write the instructions for the dumbest person physically able to read the darn things. :eek:

I just worked my way through putting the ISO on a blank CD (there's 2 cents I'll never see again!!!) and it looks normal so far. I hate feeling dumb finding out this information like this!

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
A frickin' BD-Live ready Sony Blu-ray Disc player for under $200!! It's the BDP-S350 if you need the model. My dad bought an older model pre-BD-Live Sony that works pretty well (aside from slow load times). This isn't the best model you can get, but it's a Sony for less than $200.

According to reviews, it is a pretty decent player, and a steal at that price. Unfortunately, I'm based in Europe. I actually tried to buy a BDP-S350 earlier today, but the store wanted $420+VAT. No deal.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
I purchased the BDP-S350 about three months ago for upwards of $400...It's a fantastic player; a steal at MacMall's price! Buy it!

The software/firmware updates for the S350 all come via internet. Two days ago I turned on the player and it notified me of a new update. The process was a no brainer; easy and only about five to ten minutes of wait time.

In the setup menu, I strongly suggest you turn on the "quick startup" feature. While it consumes a bit more energy, it reduces the boot up time to a totally reasonable ten seconds or less (compared to the 20 - 60 seconds I experienced on other Blu-ray players I've owned).

It's an awesome player...It makes every other player I've owned seem like a buggy proof-of-concept.

Nathan

Jak3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
That's an awesome step forward.

Very cool indeed...imagine what black friday prices willl be like...99.99$?:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.