Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nl2134

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Hi, I need help, please!

My Macbook Pro will turn on, but it won't display anything, aka there are issues with video displaying on the computer.

I have tried a lot of things...

1) Battery and AC off / hold power for 5 seconds
2) Start and reset the RAM (cntrl + opt + p + r)
3) Turning the brightness way up
4) Control + Option + Restart

Please help! I need it for school and can't really spend much time without it...

Thanks in advance.

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
Does the icon show on the screen when you're changing the brightness? Try booting in to safe mode and see if it will display anything. If all else fails, contact Apple or make an appointment to see a Genius at your local Apple Store.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
With my amazing experience with my "old" MBP, that I just got rid off, here's my 2 cents:

I had two issues concerning not being able to see the screen.

1. You cannot see the screen at all, not even by squinting or shining a flashlight. If you connect the MBP to an external screen it still won't display anything.

If this is the case you're GPU card has failed. You will need a logic board replacement.

2. You cannot change the brightness of the screen and it seems stuck on the lowest setting. You can kind of make out that desktop and can see it better if you shine a flashlight. If you connect the MBP to an external screen it will behave normally.

If this is the case here are some of the possibilities:

A) The screen backlight has died (will need to replace the screen)
B) A cable has come loose (Depending on the reason why it came lose it can vary from simply reconnecting it better or replacing the logic board/cable).

Cheers.

nl2134

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Thanks guys.

Seems like a very significant issue unfortunately, so I'll hand it over to the Apple guys.

Thanks for all your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.