Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boldreceiver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Ok, I know this seems silly, but I can't figure out how to open an A1015 to replace the batteries. The useless instructions on apple.com begin with "take off the battery cover" which is exactly what I cannot do. Can some please explain whatever the trick is? Slick design means the seams aren't very obvious....
Thanks, Terry

Reactions: ajs8

bgbevan

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Changing Batteries in Apple Mouse A1015

It can be a little frustrating trying to figure it out the first time.

1. Turn the mouse upside down.

2. The battery cover is a plastic cover encompassed in the gray ring. You have simultaneously push the small catch so it clears the hole, and pry the plastic battery cover up with something thin(like a razor blade). Pry up the inner most plastic plate inside the gray ring.

3. It's obvious what to after you get the plate off.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
It can be a little frustrating trying to figure it out the first time.

1. Turn the mouse upside down.

2. The battery cover is a plastic cover encompassed in the gray ring. You have simultaneously push the small catch so it clears the hole, and pry the plastic battery cover up with something thin(like a razor blade).
:eek:

Pry up the inner most plastic plate inside the gray ring.

3. It's obvious what to after you get the plate off.

Wipe your blood off the mouse and get your bleeding fingers stitched ? :D

Alexios

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2016
Ok, I know this seems silly, but I can't figure out how to open an A1015 to replace the batteries. The useless instructions on apple.com begin with "take off the battery cover" which is exactly what I cannot do. Can some please explain whatever the trick is? Slick design means the seams aren't very obvious....
Thanks, Terry

To open the Apple Wireless Mouse A1015

The rectangular white catch underneath the mouse has to be pulled downwards, that is, away from the on-off button. The underneath of the mouse is a white plate with a rectangular cut-out in it that matches the size of the catch. When the catch is pulled down the plate will come away.

N.B. because of gravity, the plate won’t come away if the mouse is upside down. So, keep the mouse the right way up and when you pull the tab down, the plate will fall away by itself.

Also, be aware that the top of the white plate has a small tab that fits into the body of the mouse.

Jane Licht

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
I am unable to remove the battery plate from my A1657 mouse. It has a slim white top with no apparent catch or rectangular cut out or anything. It has a silver underbelly with a light, on-off switch and a small opening near the bottom. That's it! I have tried removing the plate with a screwdriver but not forcefully enough to break it.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I am unable to remove the battery plate from my A1657 mouse. It has a slim white top with no apparent catch or rectangular cut out or anything. It has a silver underbelly with a light, on-off switch and a small opening near the bottom. That's it! I have tried removing the plate with a screwdriver but not forcefully enough to break it.
An A1657 mouse uses rechargeable batteries, not replaceable ones. You should recharge it with the supplied cable. See here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205160

The mouse should have come with a Lightning to USB cable:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLA02LL/A/magic-mouse-2

billin

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
Thanks, Terry

This post is ancient, but, for those poor souls like me who still have one of these mice...

There is a method for prying off that bottom cover which has always worked for me. You will need a small flathead screwdriver or tweezers:
  1. Hold the mouse in your left hand so the bottom is facing up and that little black tab is facing you
  2. Use the tip of the screwdriver to push down on the top side of the tab, sliding the little black tab down towards you
  3. Wedge the tip of the screwdriver in between the top of the black tab and the now exposed internal lip of the metal case
  4. Pull the screwdriver up, as if you're pulling it straight out - do NOT pry. The cover will pop right off
  5. Do a little victory jig (optional)

Jan Garood

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2019
This post is ancient, but, for those poor souls like me who still have one of these mice...

There is a method for prying off that bottom cover which has always worked for me. You will need a small flathead screwdriver or tweezers:
  1. Hold the mouse in your left hand so the bottom is facing up and that little black tab is facing you
  2. Use the tip of the screwdriver to push down on the top side of the tab, sliding the little black tab down towards you
  3. Wedge the tip of the screwdriver in between the top of the black tab and the now exposed internal lip of the metal case
  4. Pull the screwdriver up, as if you're pulling it straight out - do NOT pry. The cover will pop right off
  5. Do a little victory jig (optional)
Thank you! Thank you! It really is a poor design for an Apple product.

simonetta

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2018

Thanks. I managed with a small gadget from a very old set from Computer Buyer. Was told by Apple I needed to buy a new mouse because the batteries had leaked and ruined it. I will go back to the store and show them batteries have not leaked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.