Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duggram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
How can I resize a photo in iPhoto to make it easier to email?

Thank you,
Doug

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
The simplest way for you to learn about this is to use the Help menu in iPhoto (and other apps too for that matter). When you pull up the iPhoto Help page there is a category on the first page called "Sharing Photos Electronically" on the left which has some clear explanations of resizing for email and some various considerations to keep in mind regarding your choices.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Select a photo/s
Click the email icon or select email from the Share menu
Choose the size from the drop down menu
Click Compose

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
in Leopard you can resize using Preview by selecting Adjust Size from the Tools menu. in iPhoto click Export from the File menu and under the File Export tab select JPEG and Custom under Size.

duggram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
The easiest way to work with photos is to send them to myself via email. Open the message on my old windows laptop and do whatever I need to. It's just too frustrating to work with photos in a mac. Windows is so simple to use I can't see putting up with all the frustration of using a mac. However, I still love the mac for its screen.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For individual photos, Preview is easier than iPhoto (Tools > Adjust Size).

duggram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
BTW when I open the help page I can't get to any of the links. Not sure what's up with that but in some of my apps there are no help files available.

Thanks for all the help. I won't give up on this Mac. But I won't torture myself with it.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
BTW when I open the help page I can't get to any of the links. Not sure what's up with that but in some of my apps there are no help files available.

Thanks for all the help. I won't give up on this Mac. But I won't torture myself with it.
Well sorry to hear about the help menu links but in essence what they tell you is the simple procedure that Southernboy listed in post #3. The links just give some additional information that could prove helpful in the long run, but just doing as Southernboy said will make short work of it in a simple fashion.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
So many easy ways to do this. In addition to the methods described above, there's also File/Export in iPhoto, which includes numerous options for resizing the image. Even images which haven't been resized in iPhoto can be made smaller for e-mailing in Apple Mail. Look at the bottom right corner of the e-mail for the options. But of course if you're only looking for e-mailing the image from iPhoto, you are presented with options for sizing the image when you click on the Email icon. If this could be made any easier, I'd like to know how...

skd

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
carmel, ca
"Windows is so simple to use I can't see putting up with all the frustration of using a mac."

Are you serious?

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
The easiest way to work with photos is to send them to myself via email. Open the message on my old windows laptop and do whatever I need to. It's just too frustrating to work with photos in a mac. Windows is so simple to use I can't see putting up with all the frustration of using a mac. However, I still love the mac for its screen.

Huh? Please tell me how working with photos is easier in windows? Its quite the opposite. Windows doesnt even include any decent software compared to OS X. You can resize photos using iphoto, when sending it using mail, preview has lot of "tools" to manipulate photos. Dont forget Automator, in wich you can easily create a "workflow" and resize 1000 pictures at one click for example. Read a OS X book or something similar "introduction" stuff :)

prettypony

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2011
Midwest
I just found this thread, because I have been torturing myself ever since I bought this iMac.
I have been trying to resize photos for Etsy. I used the Preview feature by dragging the photos to the desktop. Etsy still rejects my photos telling me they are too large. I have been trying to watch Automator tutorials and set up this as an automator function. I am so used to a PC, whereby you use a photo program and save files to new files.....its so hard to get used to a Mac. Is a book really what I need? I have tried to set up a workflow for this and have no idea what I am doing. My first order in the workflow is Find Finder Items/where/pictures/size is greater than 2MB but what is the minus and plus sign after this for? do I click one? then get selected Finder Items
then
Copy finder items
then
scale images to size (pixels) 1000
And I get errors. I don't even know how to get started. I also downloaded an automator free Ap June cloud and I can't seem to finish the download and use it. I have owned this Imac since july of 2009. It's time to figure it out or buy a pc again, but they lock up all the time, etc.
Help, I am a digital immigrant and need to swim with the sharks, my life depends on it!:D

duggram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
Since starting this thread I now run Win7 in Bootcamp and manage it with Fusion so that I can use Visual Studio and SQL Server. It's no problem at all to use Irfan for managing photos/scans. I wish Mac had a similar app.

ElizM

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Resizing and then sending

I have Snow Leopard. I tried the advice of using Share, selecting Small Size from the dropdown menu, and then sending to myself. However, I couldn't send to myself. There was a Gmail address up as sender, which was my name@yahoo.com. I don't recall ever creating this email, so I'm wondering if that could be barrier? Also, when I hit send, I get a warning about sending with placeholder text. I click OK. And then I get a mysterious warning that simply has, in the top left corner, an exclamation mark and the iPhoto logo, and in the bottom right, the word "OK." I click OK (fully aware of the irony that I seem to be saying "OK to the warning") and nothing happens; I don't receive my picture.

Any ideas?

duggram

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
This seems like a really old thread now. I've been using Preivew --> Tools --> Adjust Size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.