Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raulp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
California
Hail G5!

I have a quick question, I'm trying to upgrade the latest version of Jaguar on one of my XServe's to Panther OSX Server. I just paid $1000 for the software and I cannot get it to install. These are the steps I followed.

1: pressed the power button while holding down the system identifier button and it pops open the cdrom
2: inserted disc #1 and closed the tray

this is as far as I get because the cdrom tray keeps popping open all the time. I push in the tray in and it pops open again automatically. Can anyone explain to me what's going on?

Thanks sons and daughters of the Mac daddy. jk. thanks again.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
isn't the server like the desktop

Put the cd in the drive, you can do this while in X.2. Make sure the cd is readable. Then reboot the xserve, before the chime, hold down the c key and keep holding it till the screen shows the apple. It should start the xserve in booting the cd-rom and the installation program.

Or is the server that much different than the desktop.

raulp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
California
Hi thanks for your post. When I insert the cd while in the GUI Interface the cd does not mount. ??? It reads all other cd's fine except for the Panther OSX Server Discs. I got it to intall fine on my G5, easy. But on the XServe its not reading it.

Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks.

Hail G5!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.