Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
My Macbook screen flickers violently after soda spilled in there over a year ago. Since then i've had to deal with the screen flickering at random times and have to adjust the screen by moving it up or down and the screen stops flickering.

My Applecare would cover it since it's a soda spill so i'm wondering how I can get easy instructions to disassemble my Macbook (white, not aluminum) to get in there and clean the presumably dried/sticky soda spill in hopes my Macbook will regain more composure than it does right now.

Now, i've taken the macbook apart a few times to clean the inside but never saw a spill. I do know the soda spill rests under the top left corner where all the ports rest, you know, the magsafe corner.

Never did i see a spill but i'm aware that section within the macbook has like 2 levels, or 2 floors of stuff but could never understand how to take off the "top floor" of stuff to see and reach the first and then clean the soda spill.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Here's a guide I found at iFixit.com that gets you all the way down to the logic board which is in that area you described.

Is this what you mean?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Here's a guide I found at iFixit.com that gets you all the way down to the logic board which is in that area you described.

Is this what you mean?

I think this is it actually. Tomorrow morning i'm going to do this in hopes of discovering a corn sryup-ie dried spill there and attempt to remove it. . . . . How? . . . I haven't a clue. Perhaps chip it away little by little depending.

I was thinking of melting it away but with heat too near the logic board i dont wanna fry anything. Same viewpoint in regards to wetting it. Guess we'll see how it goes.

I decided to post now, the night before in case anyone had last minute suggestions. Thanks

Camoischaos

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Southern California
With this reply im not 100% sure but couldnt you clean it with some rubbing alcohol? just a tad bit and clean it off then let it dry 100% but remember im not 100% sure about that so hopefully someone will clear it up that if it is or isnt.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It's unlikely that you can do anything at this point if the spill occurred a year ago. The damage has already been done. Good luck.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
@ Neil - I think he meant wouldn't which is most likely correct.

yep, my mistake. i meant to say they wouldn't cover it. apple said it would cost $800 for them to replace the logic board with a new, unspilled soda one.

Now, you guys are right to think the soda spill being over a year old wouldn't help out...guess we'll see.

I was planning on taking apart the macbook today but before I do am planning on switching hard drives from the factory 80GB one to a new 500GB one, just in case.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Thanks for your advice people. I just finished disassembling and reassembling my macbook. too much work in my opinion, but maybe cause it was my 1st time.

I got around to seeing and halding the logic board and didn't even see soda anywhere! Nor any discoloration. I gave the whole inside a good cleaning and feel better about it.

The screen still flickers though not as much.

Anyways, thanks!

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
You can get special cleaning solution for circuit boards, usually has a coarse brush on the applicator end. I used it to clean a spill inside my original Xbox. (Of course I did this directly after it happened.) And it then worked up until the time I sold it.

(By the way, never use electronics as a plate for your breakfast. I put my milk and bagle down on top of the thing and the milk slid :[

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.