Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I know cross-posting is uncool, but I posted this in the iPod forum yesterday with no answer, and it's time-sensitive. Sorry. :eek:

I'm prepping my iPod for a long flight (18hrs round-trip). Last time I flew, a bunch of my dialogue-heavy videos were too hard to hear over the white noise of the airplane, to my frustration.

So I want to amplify the volume on a bunch of videos, some in avi format, others already compressed mp4's.

I tried changing the volume using QT Pro and re-saving, and running them through Handbrake with the DRC cranked. Neither worked.

This isn't brain surgery, but it's beyond my powers of the google.

Any help would be appreciated. Bonus points if it can be automated & queued, as I have about 5 TV seasons I'd like to do.

72 hours till liftoff. :)

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
When you say you changed the volume and re-saved, did you raise the volume in the movie properties and just do a save in Quicktime?

What I would try if I were you is to adjust the volume (if the +6dB increase you can get in QT is enough) and then do an export to a new file. For the files that are already MP4 you should be able to select passthrough for the video, thereby decreasing the encoding time.

Edit: nevermind, tried it myself and it didn't seem to work.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
When you say you changed the volume and re-saved, did you raise the volume in the movie properties and just do a save in Quicktime?

What I would try if I were you is to adjust the volume (if the +6dB increase you can get in QT is enough) and then do an export to a new file. For the files that are already MP4 you should be able to select passthrough for the video, thereby decreasing the encoding time.

Edit: nevermind, tried it myself and it didn't seem to work.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did, and as you see, it doesn't work one bit.

The closest thing I can think to do is strip out the audio tracks and run them through Audacity, but a) hello, time-intensive! and b) I don't want to start messing with things that could affect the a/v syncing.

Any other ideas out there?

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I've found mono is easier to hear on planes.

Also, you could try the volume adjustment in iTunes (right click > get info > options) and resync.

EDIT: If those don't work, use VirtualDub (Windows)

nicholgh

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Adobe Soundtrack

I just used Adobe Soundtrack to import and increase the volume of a .mov file. It doesn't allow you to automate or create batch lists but you could probably do that with Automator. Applications>Automator

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.