Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHEESH

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
I bought my Imac at the beginning of '06 and it's been great but today a small white line appeared running vertically all the way down the screen and over the dock and menu bar. it's white during boot up and then yellow after everything is loaded..does anybody have an idea what this is or how to fix it?

thanks for any help you can give
caleb

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
"All signs point to display"
Cables don't tend to fail in the way the OP stated, and I've only heard of video cards failing with odd fuzziness, not a vertical stripe.

Regardless of what is at fault, your computer needs fixin'

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Let me guess, 17" White iMac? No surprise. It is very common for these iMacs to develop those lines due to faulty logic boards. However, Apple has not acknowledged this problem, so if you're out of AppleCare then you're out of luck.

mschmitt

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
We've got 12 vertical lines of various colors on ours so far. Also, this 17" Feb. 2006 iMac stopped running OS X a few months ago. Reformatting and reinstalling OS X helped, but the OS X partition failed again in short order. Ironically, this iMac runs Windows XP beautifully. My wife uses Windows for work, so this suits her fine.

Go to YouTube and search for "imac lines". You will see many others who share this display problem. We have a Samsung panel connected to ours, and there are no such lines on the external display.

Our iMac G5 lost its logic board, so I'm not a big iMac fan anymore, especially with super-gloss displays. My PowerMac MDD is still going strong, though it's still as loud as ever despite changing the power supply. My MacBook lost its battery after 125 charge cycles, but my MacBook Pro (early 2008, matte) has no issues.

If the line bothers you (of course it does), get an external display. I know you are bummed about this issue, so spend a little on a display (and adapter).

It sucks that this happened, and paying Apple for an external display adapter is salt in the wound. Still, you'll forget about it soon enough once you get to work on your new, and likely bigger, display.

Best of luck.

Frankie13

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
vertical line on imac

I purchased a 20" imac two weeks ago. (newest edition as far as i know). The other day, I was about to put the computer to sleep and had clicked on the apple and was about to click the sleep option in the drop down menu. I got distracted and the computer went to sleep on its own. When I woke the computer that night, the drop down menu was still there. Later that night, a vertical pink line appeared in that spot. It came and went several times over the night, but hasn't appeared since.

Do you think I should take the computer back tomorrow? a pain because I have installed tons of software already. Or, should i just purchase the apple care and hope that this problem doesn't come back?

I saw an earlier response to this subject which said that a high contrast wallpaper could possibly cause it. At the moment, I have the black and white lightning image as mine. Should I change it? many thanks!

Tudeski

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
I bought my Imac at the beginning of '06 and it's been great but today a small white line appeared running vertically all the way down the screen and over the dock and menu bar. it's white during boot up and then yellow after everything is loaded..does anybody have an idea what this is or how to fix it?

thanks for any help you can give
caleb

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/672562/

See this thread.. Good luck

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
There are only two "fixes" for the vertical lines . . . replace the LCD panel or get the mini-DVI video adapter and attach an external monitor. Guess which is cheaper/easier? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.