Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hi,

Does the quality of music produced by each iPod differ? For example does the classic sound better than the shuffle? Or the iPod nano sound better than the iPhone? I would have thought they would be made with the same 'chip' or technology.

I'm no expert but I would have thought they all sound the same with the headphones making all the difference?

Is this correct?

Thanks

Herodotis

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
The shuffle can't handle the higher quality music files like apple lossless. I've got a shuffle and a nano and you can definately hear the difference between the lossless file on the nano and the 128-320 version on the shuffle. I believe the other ipods are like the nano and can take the higher quality files. The headphones also make a huge difference, the included Apple ones are ok for what they are, basic. With a better set, the sound is great.

Cheers,
Herodotis

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
The sound quality should be whatever the music is recorded at not the device it is played on, unless the device or speakers/headphones are damaged.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Could anyone tell me why the shuffle cannot play lossless and all other ipod models can?

Thanks

Sgt.Pepper

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2008
Australia
Well the 5G and 5.5G iPods have better components inside them, and I imagine it makes a difference.
The people who do iMods only take 5G and 5.5G iPods, doing it with lesser components isn't worth it.
http://redwineaudio.com/
Those are the people who do it, you can navigate to the section if you like.
Their products are top notch.

stevod

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009
London
The sound quality should be whatever the music is recorded at not the device it is played on, unless the device or speakers/headphones are damaged.

The device can make a big difference, as that's what's decompressing the audio files, converting it to analogue so you can hear it, then amplifying it for your headphones. Different kit will do this in different ways, with potentially different results.

My Classic sounds a lot better than my 3G.

The 5G mods are supposed to be impressive, but I read that the Classic is a good jump forward from the 5G, and that the mods didn't have as much impact (as well as being more difficult).

Obviously the file/bitrate quality and 'phones quality is going to make a big difference too.

S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.