Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swag72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
I have totally bricked my iphone. I can not get it out of the itunes dock screen. I have tried restore in itunes loads, makes no difference. Have tried quickpwn (or whatever it's called), and nothing happens. Libertyx won't work as I can't restore it.

It's a non 3g phone, running 1.1.3 (well it was!) The only way to turn it off is to press off and home together for ages. Switch it on - Straight back to the same screen. Just want to sort it out - Can one of you guys help please?

Oh yeah, running windows vista.

DPA

macrumors 65816
Have you tried a hard restore by powering off and holding the home button while connecting to iTunes? This forces a restore. This has worked for me all of 4 times I almost bricked my iPhone 3G except once. The one time it didn't work I used ZiPhone and it made iTunes recognize that there was an iPhone in recovery mode. Here is the link to the Windows version of ZiPhone. And may I ask how this all happened?

David

swag72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Thanks for the link David. Trying it now, but it won't recognise the iphone despite it showing in itunes. What the hell have I done? Only mistakenly updated to V2.0 as I wanted to download an application.:confused:

swag72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Ziphone will not recognise the iphone. I have just managed to get it to recognise the phone and it is trying to get into recovery mode for the last 10 mins. I am using the latest itunes as it told me a few days ago I didn't need to update.

My iphone was running on 1.1.3 - Don't care what damn firmware I end up with, just want a phone that works!!

I can't even do a manual recovery as the ONLY way I can turn the thing off is with the off and home button pressed and held continuously for about 20 secs.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Forget Ziphone and update or restore the phone through iTunes to 2.2.

Then you can activate, unlock, jailbreak, whatever, with the guides on this forum.

I think from what you say that the screen you're getting is because your phone isn't activated. QuickPwn or Pwnage will activate it for you.

DPA

macrumors 65816
Forget Ziphone and update or restore the phone through iTunes to 2.2.

Then you can activate, unlock, jailbreak, whatever, with the guides on this forum.

I think from what you say that the screen you're getting is because your phone isn't activated. QuickPwn or Pwnage will activate it for you.

iTunes isn't recognizing his iPhone! It sometimes happens.

I was just saying ZiPhone got iTunes to recognize my iPhone in Recovery mode. I forgot to mention that I had to hit Kill ZiPhone and that's when it was recognized. I used Pwnage Tool and QuickPwn. They, also, got iTunes to recognize my iPhone but you have to go through many steps before you get to the recovery mode part. With ZiPhone, it's the first step. I prefer Pwnage Tool and QuickPwn but I just tried ZiPhone as a last resort.

David

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
I'm not sure that's what he's saying - isn't it Ziphone that's not recognising it? Swag, are you there? What happens if you hold the home button while putting your phone onto the usb dock, with iTunes open?

Apologies if I have misunderstood you.

PS It's not bricked!

DPA

macrumors 65816
I don't think Swag72 is using ZiPhone. I just used it because I thought it would be faster and somehow it put the iPhone into some kind of recovery mode that iTunes wanted to recognize! I understand it is not bricked.:) I don't think it is possible to brick an iPhone through modifying just software. If you somehow burn out the motherboard or logic board then that's a different story. But I think that just modifying software CANNOT brick a phone. Once I see one that I, or anyone else, cannot fix then I will believe. Some people just say they have a bricked iPhone when they haven't tried half of the things they could of tried to fix it!

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.