Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
I have eczema, and I think I scratch myself at night while I sleep, but I'm not sure. I want to aim my Macbook at me and record myself sleeping. Any suggestions on software I should use to help me record video for about 8 hours straight?

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
you cant record with photo booth? try imovie, it will record it fine, your fans will be running all night though. and also space might be an issue depending on your hard drive size, about 8 hours of video is gonna take up quite a bit of space.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
"time lapse photography" with your iSight and iMovie

This YouTube video will show how to do it using "time lapse photography" with your iSight and iMovie. Hope this helps.

mwchris

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Kentucky
This YouTube video will show how to do it using "time lapse photography" with your iSight and iMovie. Hope this helps.

Great example. This was exactly what I was going to tell the OP to do. Have to have iMovie 06 though. I would recommend setting up to not automatically create clips, but rather one large clip. I did this for some students by time lapsing a hermit crab at over night. It was quite comical.

Anyway, but of luck to you.

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
iMovie

My wife and I wanted to record a movie of our dog in his crate while we were gone to see what he gets up to. We used iMovie to do it and it worked out perfectly. It would work just fine for your situation (as long as you have enough light).

Open iMovie. Once the window is open there will be a silhouette of a camera on the left half-way down the window. If you hover your pointer over it, it says "Open Camera Import Window". Click on that. A new window will open. At the top of that new window it will say "Import From : Built-in iSight". At the bottom right of that screen is a button that says capture. Press that and you're recording.

After you stop the recording it will take a while for the MB to process the video. Be patient here. Once it's done, so are you.

It worked great for us. We left it on once by accident and had about 8 hours of video on there and it worked fine. It took about 1.5 to 2 hours to process (IIRC) but otherwise was good. It was also easy to go through the video and see what was going on at any given time.

I hope that helps. Good luck.
m&c

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.